Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up a 870

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    For those of you using epoxy to attach tritium sights, what are your plans for when he tritium starts to go dim? Can you get these off easily with acetone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My plan is to just twist off the entire thing when that day comes. The Big Dot is glued on top of the existing brass bead. I'll just use a pair of BFP's* to twist it, unscrewing it from the barrel.

Install a new brass bead, then glue on a new Big Dot.

*Big Ol' Pliers

I'll probably be giving mine the Pistol-Forum Neon Pop Orange treatment for snubbies soon. Trit is on last legs.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    I'll probably be giving mine the Pistol-Forum Neon Pop Orange treatment for snubbies soon. Trit is on last legs.
    You mean it's about to go "trits up"?

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    My plan is to just twist off the entire thing when that day comes. The Big Dot is glued on top of the existing brass bead. I'll just use a pair of BFP's* to twist it, unscrewing it from the barrel.

Install a new brass bead, then glue on a new Big Dot.

*Big Ol' Pliers
    I would really encourage you to apply some heat first. The method you describe above is liable to snap the Big Dot and bead off the threaded shaft of the bead. Getting those out of the shotgun can be done, but it's kind of a pain.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I would really encourage you to apply some heat first. The method you describe above is liable to snap the Big Dot and bead off the threaded shaft of the bead. Getting those out of the shotgun can be done, but it's kind of a pain.
    Ah, yes indeed, very good advice. Heat would definitely be a benefit.

I have also had good luck putting a drop of Kroil on things like that, and then letting it soak in over night.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    also, what are folks' experiences with the XS/epoxy-installed tritium front sights? I am not unhappy wit the bead for now but am in the market for improvements.
    I had an agency owned 18" Mossberg 590DA1 that I'd had an XS Big Dot installed on, and the synthetic stock shortened. I had no problems busting clays with it.

I would buy that gun from the agency given 1/2 a chance.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I had an agency owned 18" Mossberg 590DA1 that I'd had an XS Big Dot installed on, and the synthetic stock shortened. I had no problems busting clays with it.

I would buy that gun from the agency given 1/2 a chance.
    Interesting. So far my first purchase for upgrades are going to be:

1. +2 Mag tube by SGTech/WC
    2. XS Big Dot epoxy for pedastal FS.

Next decision tree is stock and mounting option. Still torn about how to mount a light but I have a good enough solution at the moment so no rush. Stock I will probably go Magpul; only question is whether or not to get the fore-end + rail too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I am reviving this thread because I just won a beater 18" Police Magnum. Has bead sight. Purpose: home defense gun that I might bring into the woods now and then, and a companion to my much nicer 20" LE surplus Wingmaster.

Current short term plan:

1. Magazine: Scattergun Technologies/WC +2 tube w/spring, follower. just about the only thing I'll buy immediately.
    2. Ammo: Some Federal 00 Buck. Slugs: any tips? I think I have some Winchester Rangers.
    3. Stock: Weighing buying a Hogue youth vs. Magpul stock vs. Magpul stock/fore-end set. Currently leaning towards the hogue or the Magpul stock alone. Opinions?
    4. Light/mount: Have a Nordic Components railed clamp on my 20" Wingmaster. I will take it off the wingmaster and use it to mount one of my TLR-1s. May buy a TLR-1 HL later. Not sure if I want to try another mounting option at this time...
    5. Sights: thinking about the XS tritium bead sight. Any thoughts? Not interested in going with a rail or optic on this gun at this time.
    6. Reloads: I actually have a Mesa 4-round sidesaddle I will mount and play with just to see how I like it.
    7. Finish: any reason to worry this thing might rust? I have no sense of the quality of the finish on this gun or even what era it's from. Depending on what it looks like when I get it, I might end up either refinishing it professionally, rattlecan-ing it, or just leaving it alone. As long as it doesnt rust like crazy I am leaning towards the latter two options.
    My non-expert opinions on a few of these

2. Slugs: Brenneke THD hits POA for me and seems to have impressive performance
    3. Magpul stock was a game changer. Getting it to fit is easy and cheap. Once it's dialed in, everything just lines up with very little effort.
    4. The latest generation SureFire fore-ends are overkill for my needs. I have a first generation that is still going strong. For shotgun #2, though, I mounted a short rail to a Magpul fore-end, then a SureFire G2 in a VLTOR quick-release mount. I have the tailcap in front of my index finger rather than my thumb. My thumb is usually gripping the fore-end too hard to work a light. Plus I'm worried about driving the light back into my thumb under recoil. You can see the setup in the insanely oversized picture I posted before (sorry).
    Last edited by Edster; 07-18-2017 at 07:09 PM.

It's your money, but I would hunt for either a used first model Surefire or the newest third model.

A lot of the people I have known over the years try a bunch of different things, and most eventually settle on a Surefire forend light. I know I did. The recoil kills a lot of ideas.

http://www.surefire.com/illumination...un-forend.html

You can find lightly used ones for substantially below list, usually around $200 for a Gen 1 and $250 for a Gen 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    You mean it's about to go "trits up"?
    Laughed aloud; well done!
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

User Tag List