Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up a 870

Yes, I run a shotgun right-handed, a carbine left-handed, a bolt gun right-handed, and shoot a pistol equally poorly with either hand.

On the XS bead...

I haven't yet bought one. I'm kind of stuck here in my decision, between either a) installing the XS bead or b) spending ~$215 to buy the DEA barrel with what are basically XS Big Dots installed.

The gun will see limited slug use, but since I'm up in the mountains now bears are a possibility. Primary use is launching buckshot at 5-10 yards. Given those parameters, is it worth the extra $140 to gain a rear sight?

Site Supporter
    For those of you using epoxy to attach tritium sights, what are your plans for when he tritium starts to go dim? Can you get these off easily with acetone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    For those of you using epoxy to attach tritium sights, what are your plans for when he tritium starts to go dim? Can you get these off easily with acetone?

Heat is usually needed. Often you can get away with a heat gun, but sometimes you need a torch.

I'm curious about the aircraft adhesive mentioned above.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have an X/S Big Dot tritium front sight epoxied onto the front of my shotguns that do not have rifle sights. That is three of them. The other two shotguns have rifle sights. I have never had any kind of issue with them separating. I do not baby my shotguns, either.
    Thanks for this nugget Serious. I was contemplating the DEA barrel due to concerns over separation with the epoxy X/S. You saved me some cash.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Would you mind sharing what type anti-walk pins those are? I'm seeing a few different options available.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Would you mind sharing what type anti-walk pins those are? I'm seeing a few different options available.
    Willard I didn't install any AW pins in the VCS guns, just added rigid side saddles w/ the supplied pins visible that came w/ each saddle.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 07-18-2017 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Willard I didn't install any AW pins in the VCS guns, just added rigid side saddles w/ the supplied pins visible that came w/ each saddle.
    Thank you sir.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

JB Weld requires 600F heat to be removed, so I probably won't try to change it out. Once the tritium dims, I will still have a front sight vastly superior to the factory bead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    On the XS bead...

I haven't yet bought one. I'm kind of stuck here in my decision, between either a) installing the XS bead or b) spending ~$215 to buy the DEA barrel with what are basically XS Big Dots installed.

The gun will see limited slug use, but since I'm up in the mountains now bears are a possibility. Primary use is launching buckshot at 5-10 yards. Given those parameters, is it worth the extra $140 to gain a rear sight?
    For me, yes. I have both the XS big dot epoxied on one of my 870's and one with the XS 870 barrel. I hit far more consistently with with both slugs and Fed. FC buck with the XS rifle sights on the barrel. FC buck and Brenneke Home Defense tactical shoot to the same POA at 15-25 yards with the XS 870 barrel. The Big Dot is better than just a bead on pedestal, and it glows, but I prefer the actual sights. My light on the fore end lights up the front sight, so the glow in the dark feature is not as important for me. I live in the mountains too, and it gets dark at night so a light is critical.

User Tag List