Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up a 870

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Want to say thanks to Sherman and those of you who pressed the issue regarding the superiority of the Magpul SGA stock for the 870 over the OEM polymer stock.

Received mine earlier this afternoon and right away I could feel how much better it fit my frame in its smallest configuration...no spacers required.

The balance of my 870 feels much better now as it doesn't feel heavy toward the muzzle / Surefire forend, the length of pull is just fine and interestingly enough, the tip of my nose seems to still be about the same distance from the base knuckle of my right thumb. That sort of surprised me.

The comfort of my right wrist is enhanced by the angle of the grip...and as a bonus, my old Blackhawk Swift Sling still works with the new stock without impairing my cheek weld.

Granted, I haven't fired it yet but all in all it seems like a winner and money well spent, especially considering I seemed to have found a reasonably good price.

Thanks again guys.
    100% agreed. I found that adding one spacer made it perfect for me; no spacers and I felt like my nose was up against the rear tang.

Want to say thanks to Sherman and those of you who pressed the issue regarding the superiority of the Magpul SGA stock for the 870 over the OEM polymer stock.

Received mine earlier this afternoon and right away I could feel how much better it fit my frame in its smallest configuration...no spacers required.

The balance of my 870 feels much better now as it doesn't feel heavy toward the muzzle / Surefire forend, the length of pull is just fine and interestingly enough, the tip of my nose seems to still be about the same distance from the base knuckle of my right thumb. That sort of surprised me.

The comfort of my right wrist is enhanced by the angle of the grip...and as a bonus, my old Blackhawk Swift Sling still works with the new stock without impairing my cheek weld.

Granted, I haven't fired it yet but all in all it seems like a winner and money well spent, especially considering I seemed to have found a reasonably good price.

Thanks again guys.
    Blues both yours & Neph's summaries nicely describe why I have MP SGA's on both my VCS 870s.

That said I'm REALLY anxious to get Adam's adapter for my MP/Mossberg stock that will go on my 1301T, only neg is it won't be available until after DB's class @ the end of Aug., yeah I know first world problems etc.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 08-02-2017 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Blues both yours & Neph's summaries nicely describe why I have MP SGA's on both my VCS 870s.

That said I'lm REALLY anxious to get Adam's adapter for my MP/Mossberg stock to will go on my 1301T, only neg is it's won't be available until after DB's class @ the end of Aug., yeah I know first world problems etc.
    I owe you thanks as well, brother, for your encouragement re: picking up this stock. You and Sherm should get a certificate from Magpul for being such good ambassadors.

I'm covering my eyes and sticking fingers in my ears now before you start getting me traveling down the road toward any other shotguns.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Thanks again guys.
    It's hard to describe. I haven't shot with one yet, and thought they looked....different...when they came out. But as soon as I shouldered one, I "got it".

I just wish they made one for a Benelli M1.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Thanks again guys.
    I used to have one of those Hogue 11" LOP stocks on my favorite Mossberg 590A1. Loved the short LOP, but my thumb bonked my nose when I shot it. Figured I'd try one of the Magpul stocks, and was hooked ever since.

Really encourage you to go put that pump on a timer. After zeroing a 14 inch Benelli Nova this morning, I did just that. Apparently all that 870 shooting in my past didn't stick, because it sure was ugly compared to my M2.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Really encourage you to go put that pump on a timer. After zeroing a 14 inch Benelli Nova this morning, I did just that. Apparently all that 870 shooting in my past didn't stick, because it sure was ugly compared to my M2.
    George did you zero that Nova seated @ 25ish like you told me previously?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    George did you zero that Nova seated @ 25ish like you told me previously?
    Yes, that is my standard shotgun zero.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Just verifying, need to re-zero my 1301 & VCS 870 before I see Casanova @ a SG tuneup in a few weeks UNLESS he succumbs first to the massive throes of heat he's been experiencing lately.

In its final form:
    - VCS Big Dome safety
    - VCS 870 follower
    - Wolff +10% magazine spring
    - 18.5" XS Rifle Sights barrel
    - Surefire 618 with LED upgrade
    - Magpul SGA stock
    - Magpul SGA sling mount
    - 3M velcro on the receiver

Ultimately I returned to no extension for this gun. I've had +2 and +1 extensions on the gun previously, but I prefer the balance and pointability of the gun with no extension. Four rounds is likely to be sufficient for my use (grab the gun, point it at the bedroom door, call 911 and wait), but if I feel so inclined I can slap a 5-round saddle on there.

Given the prevalence of tight-patterning buckshot loads I was uncomfortable not having a rear reference for my front sight, so... I spent $240 on the factory XS rifle sight barrel. Realistically it's probably the least necessary part on the gun but I'm quite happy with it in dry fire. I've never been a shotgun shooter and the little bit of shooting this thing has seen yielded inconsistent results with FC buckshot and a bead (typically elevation errors).

I picked up some dummy rounds and have been working the brass-up reloads detailed here. I've also been drilling myself to work the action immediately after pressing the trigger. I've not yet had a short-stroke in dry fire, but live performance remains to be seen.

I do not feel a sling is necessary for my use but I nevertheless have some options if I decide to attach one for some reason.

The only remaining may-purchase is a VCS side saddle. The 3M directly taped to the receiver doesn't inspire a lot of confidence over the long term. Nevertheless, it's a spendy upgrade for what it is so I'm still on the fence. At this point I don't know that I want to go with a permanently-mounted saddle, though a class environment may change (or reinforce) that opinion.

The next step is a training class next month with Lee Weems, so I'll see how the gun shakes out after proper instruction on its use. I'll be bringing both Federal FC 00 buck and Remington LE 8-pellet buck with me to pattern the gun. My experience with FC buck in the past is that it's effectively a slug at HD distance. I'm curious if that's too much of a good thing, hence the Remington stuff.

User Tag List