Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up a 870

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I'd buy the Malkoff, personally.
    In fact, he did. Same day @farscott provided his reply. PF enables far beyond just its members.

Site Supporter
    Another necro:

I've got a circa-2002 Express with both an 18" pedestal bead barrel, and a 28" vent rib. I'm kicking around the idea of adding some sights to the 18" tube. I want to retain the ability to use the 28" barrel as a loaner duck gun, so I'd like to avoid a receiver mounted ghost ring rear. The problem is, it's 2021 (well, almost 2022), and Remington's recent bankruptcy/restructuring has made lots of parts/guns/barrels unobtainable or hilariously expensive. Is there anyone that can add rifle sights to to my existing barrel? Or does the hive have any other recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    Another necro:

I've got a circa-2002 Express with both an 18" pedestal bead barrel, and a 28" vent rib. I'm kicking around the idea of adding some sights to the 18" tube. I want to retain the ability to use the 28" barrel as a loaner duck gun, so I'd like to avoid a receiver mounted ghost ring rear. The problem is, it's 2021 (well, almost 2022), and Remington's recent bankruptcy/restructuring has made lots of parts/guns/barrels unobtainable or hilariously expensive. Is there anyone that can add rifle sights to to my existing barrel? Or does the hive have any other recommendations?
    If I were you I’d reach out to Vang Comp, Wilson Combat or Cotton Branch Custom to see if they can help you out.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Another necro:

I think the best bet might be to cruise pawn shops and LGS's for a non-rifled slug barrel

Assuming you would consider tapping the receiver for a rail (could be removed for duck hunting):

https://xssights.com/rail-ghost-ring...ead-remington/ ($212.00)

I had these on the 870 Express that I lost in my trailer fire - I had a 21" vent rib turkey barrel on the shotgun: (https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/F240333 - bought several years ago, IIRC $179.00)

https://www.hivizsights.com/product/rm2013/ (not bad if you already have the vent rib barrel)

Or, this is an option:

https://www.burrisoptics.com/sights/speedbead-systems MSRP is $323 can be had cheaper elsewhere, $269 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Burris-SpeedB...001F0IMUO?th=1

Apply the ease, speed, and accuracy of a red dot sighting system to your favorite shotgun with this unique mounting system.

The SpeedBead™ mounts a FastFire™ optic between the stock and receiver of many popular shotguns.

Your line of sight will fall naturally just above the vented rib, allowing for accurate and instinctive aiming.

At 1x magnification, it's designed for both-eyes-open shooting. That's ideal for shooting clays and hunting waterfowl, upland birds, and turkeys.

Mounts low between the stock and receiver
    Line of sight falls just above the vented rib for accurate aiming
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Got to handle a new production 870 Express. I took it out of the box and put it together so it could go on the rack to be sold. The metal work and finish were as good as Remington ever produced, and the metal finish on this one was closer to a 1960s Wingmaster than a 2015 Express. The action was very smooth, the barrel ring well attached, and the front sight was centered on the barrel. The finish was a well polished "black oxide" bluing. The vent rib barrel was marked for all 12-gauge shells from 2-3/4" to 3-1/2" with a note about the receiver needing to handle the 3-1/2" shell. The furniture was polymer and, quite frankly, not up to the level set by the metal. Another interesting tidbit is the serial number ended in "12" whereas older guns would have ended with "M", so it appears new production will allow one to determine the original gauge by the last digits of the serial number as opposed to knowing what "V" and "M" mean.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Got to handle a new production 870 Express. I took it out of the box and put it together so it could go on the rack to be sold. The metal work and finish were as good as Remington ever produced, and the metal finish on this one was closer to a 1960s Wingmaster than a 2015 Express. The action was very smooth, the barrel ring well attached, and the front sight was centered on the barrel. The finish was a well polished "black oxide" bluing. The vent rib barrel was marked for all 12-gauge shells from 2-3/4" to 3-1/2" with a note about the receiver needing to handle the 3-1/2" shell. The furniture was polymer and, quite frankly, not up to the level set by the metal. Another interesting tidbit is the serial number ended in "12" whereas older guns would have ended with "M", so it appears new production will allow one to determine the original gauge by the last digits of the serial number as opposed to knowing what "V" and "M" mean.
    May this be a sign of good times to come.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    I've examined two of the new 870's and formed zero negative opinions but did observe use of polymer for attaching forend to action bars. The trigger group housing is polymer.

Used barrels with rifle sights are available.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Another necro:

For a home-brewed "DEA" type low-profile rifle sight barrel converted from a plain 18" front-bead barrel: in theory, it would be no big deal to take a garden variety 18" tube and have a gunsmith make a dovetailed base taking an XS express rear handgun sight (wide V notch with center line) and braze it to the rear of the barrel. The front could then get a low or reduced height ramp brazed on to take a dovetailed front blade or bead/dot. It would probably be pretty costly in the larger scheme of things.

I have seen 870 vent rib barrels cut down to somewhere between 18" to 21" - it is some odd length because of the rib pillar spacing - that were then dovetailed for front and rear handgun sights. Not as bad as it might sound, but it it'll also need some sort of choke work after the bobbing.

In the end, a used standard 18" police or trad slug RS barrel might be the cheapest route... and less of a headache..
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    Thanks all - that certainly gives me something to chew on.

I guess I'll be reaching out to some smiths after the holidays to see what my options are. If it's going to be a huge hassle (it sounds like it might be), I might as well Form 1 it and turn it into a 14" while I'm at it.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    I guess I'll be reaching out to some smiths after the holidays to see what my options are. If it's going to be a huge hassle (it sounds like it might be), I might as well Form 1 it and turn it into a 14" while I'm at it.
    Not a bad idea for a bespoke HD/SD shotgun. One of the advantages is that the typical +1 magazine extension from Wilson or Vang works out beautifully with the short barrels.

Sadly, I see that the current prices for used 870 barrels indicate that it is a shark's market right now; let's hope that barrels from the 870's new proprietors start showing up and restoring some equilibrium.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List