Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up a 870

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Those appear to be 20" barrels with a bead sight. That a big deal?
    If it were me I would get the sights replaced with either Ghost Rings from Wilson or maybe look for a barrel with rifle sights already installed.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Those appear to be 20" barrels with a bead sight. That a big deal?
    As mentioned, not really. I prefer rifle style sights on a defensive gun...but you can achieve that with a replacement barrel or by having Vang Comp put Remington rifle sights on that barrel.
    3/15/2016

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Speaking of rifle style sights...

https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa...prod26926.aspx

10 percent off and free shipping with the code VD4 today.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Speaking of rifle style sights...

https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa...prod26926.aspx

10 percent off and free shipping with the code VD4 today.
    A great deal. I just picked up an 18” low profile XS sighted barrel or I would grab one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    1. Mesa Tac rail with Aimpoint Micro or the standard bead. I don't like GRS on shotguns, but you may. Can always try it,
    2. Add +2 Nordic ext
    3. I don't like side saddles so no comment
    4. The Surefire forend is good but the magpul with rail & your choice of light is too
    5. OEM stock works but I really like the Magpul stock
    6. Your base gun needs to be a Police model or just get a 590A1 or M2. You literally could not give me a current production 870 express.
    Could you not replace the extractor and polymer fire control group with the proper aluminum FCG on an Express and call it good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Could you not replace the extractor and polymer fire control group with the proper aluminum FCG on an Express and call it good?

Having gone down that theoretical path in my own head, what I arrived at was that I’d rather have a used 870p than a new 870e and the associated fiddle-fuck.

I made two mods to date to my police-trade-in 870. I put a +1 extender on it, and a Velcro-attached side-saddle. Both mods I’d have done to an E anyway, and in the case of the extender exponentially easier on the P than the E.

I seem to recall there also being a difference in the pump-action between the two as well? Somebody correct me if I’m wrong. I suppose that doesn’t really matter for a gun that’s just going to sit in a closet for 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post

I replaced the extractor on my old 870 Express. I wasn't concerned about the polymer trigger group.

I had no reliability issues, and the gun went through two shotgun classes in a year and maybe 1,000 total rounds fired. It was still poorly finished. They've obviously simplified the machining, though the action broke in well enough after I spent an afternoon watching TV and working it in. After a shotgun class which involved a bit of light rain, I dealt with persistent rust issues. I ended up selling it and outfitting a used 870P with the parts, which is what I probably should have done in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

I seem to recall there also being a difference in the pump-action between the two as well? Somebody correct me if I’m wrong.
    Shorter length foreend on the police model as I remember.

I have a Scattergun Technologies 870 that I purchased several years ago and it was old stock (4.5 years old it sat in the store).

The machining inside the receiver was perfect.

It used Express internals and just this week (Friday to be exact) I simply replaced the breech bolt assembly and FCG.

I had previously installed a Hogue rubberized short forend and a MagPul buttstock.

So I should have qualified my response.

I would purchase old 870s and will. I think the 870 P Aluminum Trigger Guard has a stronger hammer spring, Volquartzen has a milled extractor and MagPul has ergo, short length of pull buttstocks and Hogue has its grippy, short forends.

Maybe have robust sights brazed on the receiver and (new) barrel; why not braze a Picatinny Raul while you’re at it?

That’s the plan, anyway.

I’ve not disassembled a new Express; in fact this is the first time I’ve been in an 870.

What is the recommendation for left side receiver mounted shell carrier?

I was recommended the Mesa Tactical Aluminum Shell holder.

What’s the take on these?

Thanks in advance.

User Tag List