Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up a 870

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I own all three lights. I would go with the DSF-870.

The switches are easier to manipulate. They are also set up so you have fewer light "ND's". The weight is nice and light, the latest unit is relatively compact as well.

Best of all, it is configured to be easiest to operate with the "push-pull" method of recoil control taught by Rob Haught.

The oldest Laser Products (or first generation) is my second favorite. The 618 is my least favorite, and now resides on the shotgun I shoot the least.
    Funny how personal Surefire selection is. I actually prefer the 618, but that may be due to a lack of experience with the newer lights. I picked up a police trade-in 870 without a barrel but with a 618, peep rear sight, WC magazine follower, and a Speedfeed IV-S on it for $269 from Mark at Summit Gun Broker. The rubber exterior of the momentary switch was separated, so I contacted Surefire for an RMA. It was repaired at zero cost, and I picked up a Malkoff MDSFFE-2 LED upgrade for $100. I added a factory Parkerized 870P barrel with a fixed IC choke and tritium bead for $100.

I adjusted the rear sight when I patterned the gun on the pattern board, used that to get close for FliteControl slugs, and then zeroed it with the slugs. It is now the 870 I use the most, and I have even used it to shoot skeet as practice running th gun. It does balance a bit too forward due to the weight of the light, but it is really dead in the hands with a loaded side-saddle. As such, I do not keep any spare ammo on the gun as I want the gun to swing smoothly without effort.

Pretty good shotgun for less than $500 invested.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Funny how personal Surefire selection is. I actually prefer the 618, but that may be due to a lack of experience with the newer lights. I picked up a police trade-in 870 without a barrel but with a 618, peep rear sight, WC magazine follower, and a Speedfeed IV-S on it for $269 from Mark at Summit Gun Broker. The rubber exterior of the momentary switch was separated, so I contacted Surefire for an RMA. It was repaired at zero cost, and I picked up a Malkoff MDSFFE-2 LED upgrade for $100. I added a factory Parkerized 870P barrel with a fixed IC choke and tritium bead for $100.

I adjusted the rear sight when I patterned the gun on the pattern board, used that to get close for FliteControl slugs, and then zeroed it with the slugs. It is now the 870 I use the most, and I have even used it to shoot skeet as practice running th gun. It does balance a bit too forward due to the weight of the light, but it is really dead in the hands with a loaded side-saddle. As such, I do not keep any spare ammo on the gun as I want the gun to swing smoothly without effort.

Pretty good shotgun for less than $500 invested.
    Wow, that's an incredible deal. I've looked at his inventory before but didn't know he was selling guns with surefires. Should have let a brother know!

Where did you get the 870 barrel with the tritium bead for $100?

Mine will be just south of $600, a little over when I eventually get the magpul SGA.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 07-22-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Wow, that's an incredible deal. I've looked at his inventory before but didn't know he was selling guns with surefires. Should have let a brother know!

Where did you get the 870 barrel with the tritium bead for $100?

Mine will be just south of $600, a little over when I eventually get the magpul SGA.
    I think I posted about the 870 with the Surefire when Mark was selling them a few years ago. I found the barrel on one of the gun boards. I went through a period of time when I bought every decent 870P or Wingmaster that crossed my path for less than $300. As such, I was always scrounging for deals on 870 parts and accessories.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Well looks like I got the version of the DSF that drains batteries - killed the CR123s that came with it overnight. I'll be giving them a call today. I am sure they'll take care of me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    RS Regulate makes a barrel clamp with rail that will fit on the 870, known as the model BM-12. I have used this to attach a light, and it seems to work pretty well:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    So, moving forward with the 870 mounted light, regardless of the mount I go with I'll need a light too obviously. It's been a while since I've bought one to mount on a long gun. The last 2 were a Surefire G2 Led and a Streamlight Polytac. I really liked the Polytac for it's bang for the buck but I see now they appear to be dual output which is a no go. What's the consensus go to light for this role now?

VC Dome safety and Magpul stock added just in time for Dagga's upcoming shotgun class.
    David S.

I broke down and ordered the Magpul stock earlier today after Sherman insisted...

"Any more smart remarks you'd care to make about the Magpul stock? Hmmm...?"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

David I'll be stunned if you tell me @ the class you don't like both of those mods. My two VCS 870's came w/ the dome headed safeties, then I tweaked 'em a tad more w/ the MP stocks.

Blues I never realized you & D. Hoffman had so much in common but regardless I'll also be surprised if you don't like your MP stock.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 07-29-2017 at 06:25 PM.

I just updated the flashlight in my Surefire forend to the LED version. Much better!!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Want to say thanks to Sherman and those of you who pressed the issue regarding the superiority of the Magpul SGA stock for the 870 over the OEM polymer stock.

Received mine earlier this afternoon and right away I could feel how much better it fit my frame in its smallest configuration...no spacers required.

The balance of my 870 feels much better now as it doesn't feel heavy toward the muzzle / Surefire forend, the length of pull is just fine and interestingly enough, the tip of my nose seems to still be about the same distance from the base knuckle of my right thumb. That sort of surprised me.

The comfort of my right wrist is enhanced by the angle of the grip...and as a bonus, my old Blackhawk Swift Sling still works with the new stock without impairing my cheek weld.

Granted, I haven't fired it yet but all in all it seems like a winner and money well spent, especially considering I seemed to have found a reasonably good price.

Thanks again guys.
    Last edited by blues; 08-02-2017 at 04:22 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List