Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up a 870

my 2cents on shorty pumps.

I was working the night (early 1990s) when my old school LT had six 870 barrels, masking tape and a dremel/cut off wheel.

They later became my problem with bead sights that would not stay on or set at 11:30.

One thing I notice during quals with these shorties, hard racking of the action and the muzzle very close to some hands. We did not use magazine extensions on shorties.
    We did use the sling plates that had the ball detent (between the barrel lower ring and mag cap) which also served as a hand block to minimize an overzealous hand from slipping off the forend and going forward of the muzzle.

good luck with your project
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    my 2cents on shorty pumps.

I was working the night (early 1990s) when my old school LT had six 870 barrels, masking tape and a dremel/cut off wheel.

They later became my problem with bead sights that would not stay on or set at 11:30.

One thing I notice during quals with these shorties, hard racking of the action and the muzzle very close to some hands. We did not use magazine extensions on shorties.
    We did use the sling plates that had the ball detent (between the barrel lower ring and mag cap) which also served as a hand block to minimize an overzealous hand from slipping off the forend and going forward of the muzzle.

good luck with your project
    That's one of several reasons I prefer 14" 870 barrels to 12" barrels.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Site Supporter

Nordic Components Mag Extension and Barrel Clamp

Anyone have any experience with the Nordic Components Magazine Extensions and Barrel Clamp as far as fit up with the 870?

https://nordiccomp.com/categories/ne...assembly-12ga/
    https://nordiccomp.com/categories/st...-barrel-clamp/

Would like to add +2 and the barrel clamp seems like a good way to make sure the mag extension is nice and sturdy as well as giving a good point for sling attachment and maybe a light. Probably someone that didn't use the clamp with their mag extension tube but I feel like I've seen a negative review on the spacing between the grooves in the clamp and it either driving the barrel and mag tube apart or flexing inward toward each other.

Have seen the recs for VCS and Wilson components as well and looking at those as options too. VCS components seem to be hard to find though Wilson seems to have availability at the moment. The barrel clamp may be overkill but seemed like a decent option for ruggedness and ability to add a light where the VCS and WC solve only for the sling and +2.
    In one physical model of the universe, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line... in the opposite direction, Danny. -Ty Webb

Quote Originally Posted by Duckysattva View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the Nordic Components Magazine Extensions and Barrel Clamp as far as fit up with the 870?

https://nordiccomp.com/categories/ne...assembly-12ga/
    https://nordiccomp.com/categories/st...-barrel-clamp/

Would like to add +2 and the barrel clamp seems like a good way to make sure the mag extension is nice and sturdy as well as giving a good point for sling attachment and maybe a light. Probably someone that didn't use the clamp with their mag extension tube but I feel like I've seen a negative review on the spacing between the grooves in the clamp and it either driving the barrel and mag tube apart or flexing inward toward each other.

Have seen the recs for VCS and Wilson components as well and looking at those as options too. VCS components seem to be hard to find though Wilson seems to have availability at the moment. The barrel clamp may be overkill but seemed like a decent option for ruggedness and ability to add a light where the VCS and WC solve only for the sling and +2.
    I’ve got one on my VC’d 870. Works nice.

Name:  9C198B00-799C-4A20-AFBA-9FAB38AE9771.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  68.5 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    Thanks all - that certainly gives me something to chew on.

I guess I'll be reaching out to some smiths after the holidays to see what my options are. If it's going to be a huge hassle (it sounds like it might be), I might as well Form 1 it and turn it into a 14" while I'm at it.
    I bought a TAC-14 and eformed my Form 1, then did the work myself. 2 weeks and I had my SBS. Just another option.

Name:  SBS Left Side.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  100.4 KBName:  SBS Right Side.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  73.0 KB
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    I bought a TAC-14 and eformed my Form 1, then did the work myself. 2 weeks and I had my SBS. Just another option.

You installed the ST/WC sights yourself? If so color me impressed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post

Did you engrave it yourself?

Not that it matters for me. WA allows SBRs but not SBSs, otherwise I would have a 14” gauge.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post

Not that it matters for me. WA allows SBRs but not SBSs, otherwise I would have a 14” gauge.
    I took it to a local shop for the engraving. They did it while I waited.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    You installed the ST/WC sights yourself? If so color me impressed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everything except the engraving. Measure twice, cut or drill etc once....

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post

Minnie-snowta, same-same.

@MDFA, that's a very handy looking shotgun. Nicely done!
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List