Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I am looking to set up a defensive 870. My questions are:

-sights

-How much ammo should the gun hold

-side saddle

-forend/light solution

-stock

thanks guys
    1. Mesa Tac rail with Aimpoint Micro or the standard bead. I don't like GRS on shotguns, but you may. Can always try it,
    2. Add +2 Nordic ext
    3. I don't like side saddles so no comment
    4. The Surefire forend is good but the magpul with rail & your choice of light is too
    5. OEM stock works but I really like the Magpul stock
    6. Your base gun needs to be a Police model or just get a 590A1 or M2. You literally could not give me a current production 870 express.

Buy one, run a couple hundred rounds through it, and then start adding the doodads. You may not want to change things after you play.

You can usually pick up an older one at pawn shops for pretty cheap. I got a Wingmaster for $150 that had a lot of finish wear but the action was nice and tight.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

It sounds like you are looking for a home defense type shotgun. I have always been partial to the Wilson's Scattergun 12 GA Standard model.

I have one with a few thousand shells through it and it is a great shotgun. Not cheap, but worth the price. You didn't mention a budget or specific use. If money is tight, then I would second the suggestion of a used Police model or older Wingmaster as well.

I would conclude with the fact that most people don't shoot these type of defensive shotguns, so a used gun would likely have minimal wear.

Link:http://wilsoncombat.com/new/shotgun-...p#.Vgj5w5rn9J8

Setting up a 870

As others have mentioned start with an 870 police or Wingmaster as the base gun. I would look for slightly older 870P's or Wingmasters because the current production 870p's are not finished/smooth as the older ones. Don't worry if it's a little rough on the exterior, that's why they make cerrakote, moly-resin and whatnot.

Sights: at a minimum a bead on the pedestal (not bead on barrel). That will help you if you decide to start shooting slugs.

I prefer the scattergun tech sights, tritium front. A lot of people will tell you having a ghost ring sight is unnecessary and slow for a defensive shotgun... But I will tell you that they only enhance your capabilities to shoot the gun accurately at near and far ranges. As far as the slow/fast thing vs an open bead...based on my testing its not really an issue.

If you go with the scattergun tech / Trijicon front sight, make sure you have a gunsmith drill and cross pin the sight to the pedestal base for ultimate security.
    A reliable red dot is awesome on the shotgun, however it gets pricey as you're talking another 400-700 bucks for a gun you probably won't shoot that often.

Mag Tube / Capacity: first off, capacity doesn't really matter much when it comes to shotguns. As Tom Givens explains in his excellent shotgun class, your effective ROF / Hits on target is higher than any other gun (typically).

So in summary... Shotgun fights don't last very long.

I run a VCS +2 because it's the sturdiest I've found. Other good extensions are Nordic and Wilson. I would recommend adding at least a +1 extension for added capacity and ease of loading the tube.

Sidesaddle: if you like them, I'd go with something that uses velcro cards. VCS makes good cards, as does 3Gun Gear. I got a big stack of the ones from SKD tactical for practice, they're ok, but not holding up as well as my 3Gun Gear cards.

I'm not a fan of the Tac-Star or Mesa Sidesaddles.

Light: if you can swing it, the new surefire 600 lumen fore-end is the way to go. Cons: it's heavy.

Another good way to go is use the magpul fore-end and run a light off of that.

Stock: needs to facilitate a 12-13" LOP so you can get behind the gun and be able to run the action. Magpul's stock is the clear winner for comfort and function. Hogue also makes a youth stock that is solid.

Other: I have the VCS system on my barrel. One reason I went with it is that my department, up until I demoed federal flight control ammo, had been running Remington reduced recoil 8 pellet 00 buck. With the VCS on my barrel, that load shoots almost as good as the Federal FC 9pel 00 and the Federal FC 1B loads do.

VCS isn't going to hurt anything... It just makes cheaper ammo perform better. In my testing, despite what others have said on other website forums, it doesn't hurt the Federal FC's performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SamuelBLong; 09-28-2015 at 07:27 AM.
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

I have bought two used, police trade in, 870s over the years (first was stolen from me, had to replace it) and have been very happy in both cases. I like the 18" barrel with rifle sights (changed out for Trijicons), and I cut down the stock to fit me. Side-saddle is a velcro thing I got from Raven Concealment awhile back so I can take it off if I don't want the added weight and bulk (I'd probably buy a 6-shell version of this today), and the light is attached via a picatinny rail section screwed to the forend for the same reason.

The shotgun, to me, is anachronistic (or, purpose-driven like 3-gun or birding), so I prefer to keep as little invested in it as possible. It's the closest I have to a "truck gun" as well, and I happen to think it's ideal in that regard (flexible ammo choices, wide range of applications, not a lot of cash invested if it's stolen).
    Last edited by rob_s; 09-28-2015 at 07:43 AM.

this is posted somewhere here but I cant find it. http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...p?f=7&t=309034

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    1) The only thing I have experience with is the bead on a pedestal. Can't advise.
    2) Largely irrelevant. People are down or fleeing before the shotgun is empty in every case I've seen it used (which, granted, isn't a lot since we got ARs and not a lot of civilians are using them for self defense)
    3) Not a fan.
    4) I have the surefire forend. I've used it to clear many houses and think it's the bee's knees. I haven't tried anything else, because the Surefire does everything I want it to.
    5) Regular ol' fixed stock unless you have a reason for a folder. I did run a folder when I worked in an inner city area with old houses that typically had very narrow staircases. Like "would not pass code today" narrow. Like both shoulders rubbing the walls narrow. I would fold the stock before going into the stairwell and then pop it back open once I was back out in breathing room.

Anyone have a light set up with the magpul forend?

I am also leaning towards the hogue stock with 12 inch lop (I'm a small guy). Anyone recommend the magpul stock instead?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Anyone have a light set up with the magpul forend?
    I put an M600P Fury on mine, using the tailcap; thumbscrew mount onto an MOE cantilever Picatinny section (left side), to try and push the light as far forward as possible. I'd plan on running it always on if I were ever to use it. I've essentially zero shotgun experience, though, so who knows how well it works.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 09-28-2015 at 12:21 PM.

User Tag List