Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up a 870

I love my XS sights on my 870. Slugs and buck are dead on at 25 yards, but slug accuracy seems to become erratic after 25 yards (as opposed to my ghost ring sighted Mossberg). Expect 5" patterns at 15 yards with FliteControl/Versatite wad ammunition and 12" at 25 yards. Note that the IC choke opens FC patterns a bit compared to cylinder (5" vs. 3" @ 15 yards), but it's kind of a good thing for home defense, IMO. My crazy over bored cylinder 870 barrel shoots 4" patterns at 50 yards with #1 FC, which is a bit much.

Site Supporter
    I have the same barrel. Mine came with the rear sight off center to the left and hit left. Needed to center it up. Remington ......

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I have the same barrel. Mine came with the rear sight off center to the left and hit left. Needed to center it up. Remington ......
    I bought a second XS sight barrel for my other 870. This one came with the wrong front sight blade, the one intended for the Express Tactical with the XS ghost ring setup. Slugs would impact 11" below point of aim. Had to return it, then the vendor ran out of stock, so ended up getting the 18" rifle sight with cyl. barrel. That one works great. Remington....
    Last edited by Tabasco; 01-26-2018 at 08:57 PM.

I have the opportunity to purchase a police turn-in 870 Police Magnum and I'm wondering what I should look for or what questions I should ask. I already found out that it has a metal trigger guard, so it appears to be a pre-2008 model.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I have the opportunity to purchase a police turn-in 870 Police Magnum and I'm wondering what I should look for or what questions I should ask. I already found out that it has a metal trigger guard, so it appears to be a pre-2008 model.
    There's only one question: is that the best you can do on the price?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I always check the following:

1) The receiver is really setup for the three-inch shells. If from the factory, the serial number will end with "M". If not, it will end with "V". The "V" guns can be modified to handle three-inch shells by moving the ejector. Once you have seen it, it is obvious. I use the "V" guns as a way to drive the sale price down as the gun is not a true "Magnum". I only shoot 2-3/4" shells, so no issue for me.

2) Make sure barrel is also chambered for three-inch shells. If 2-3/4", it is not a "Magnum".

3) Make sure the whole FlexiTab system is installed. Bolt carrier, bolt, and slide plate with the upgrades are obvious. I have seen guns with the bolt and slide plate swapped to the older parts, leaving the carrier. http://www.rem870.com/2017/05/26/wha...dentification/

4) Look for cracked and/or oil-soaked stocks.

5) Look for non-functional shell latches. Feeding dummy rounds is the best test if possible.

6) Look for rust in magazine tube. Look for dimples if it is an Express Magnum and not a Police Magnum.

7) Ensure magazine cap and barrel ring have detent and ball, not the Express version.
    Last edited by farscott; 05-10-2018 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    There's only one question: is that the best you can do on the price?
    Moot point now. They're gone. Was a pretty good price, though.
    ― Ennius

Moot point now. They're gone. Was a pretty good price, though.
    If they are from Summit Gun Broker, they are good-to-go. Mark buys a lot of agency guns, so there will be more in the near future.

Rat-Worx also has some Police Magnums left on their website as well as some Wingmasters on GB. I give credit to @TCinVA for pointing me to these.

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    Rat-Worx also has some Police Magnums left on their website as well as some Wingmasters on GB. I give credit to @TCinVA for pointing me to these.
    Thanks for the tip. Those appear to be 20" barrels with a bead sight. That a big deal?
    Last edited by Guerrero; 05-10-2018 at 01:50 PM.
    ― Ennius

User Tag List