Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Setting up a 870

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Why do you need any kind of plate interface at all? The receivers of shotguns are generally flat on the side opposite the ejection port. Why not just cut some industrial strength loop Velcro to the shape you need and stick it directly to the receiver? No need to mess around with plates, screws, etc. Just stick the card directly to the Velcro on the receiver. That’s what I did with my 1301.
    I did exactly that with an 870 and Beretta 1301. In those cases, the velcro was applied to a Cerakote finish, not bare or parkerized steel. Yes, maybe there is some sales pitch, but I don't think so. The plate with velcro vs. receiver with velcro came up in discussion with a guy who makes and sells plates with velcro. He thought sticking the velcro directly to the receiver was fine when there was a protective finish. But depending on where you live, as in rain and/or humidity, you can get moisture under the velcro depending on it's condition, the surface material, etc. So rusting with an inability to observe it or do anything without removing the velcro. Velcro is cheap, so it may not bother you. I'm fine with replacing it if the velcro has deteriorated, but I balk at doing for a simple maintenance check. In my example, the Tacstar side saddle was on the shotty when I bought it. Removing the plastic shell retention and slapping velcro on the plate was a zero additional cost modification that kept some flexibility. I bought a sling, swivels, mag follower and safety. Maybe $50 total. I've got more fully tricked shotguns so I'm satisfied with this one as it is. I'm in a desert right now, so rust is the least of my concerns. But I'm planning on a move to TN in a couple of years where rain and humidity is a big concern. So the ability to remove the plate/side saddle and keep the phosphate finish well oiled is a good thing. For what it's worth, I am doing the same thing to a Mesa Tactical side saddle. The little rubber tube that provides tensioning to the shells in the saddle has gone bad. Plus the bulk. So now I've converted it to velcro and shell cards. But like I said, if you have a Cerakote or some other highly rust resistant finish, sticking the velcro directly to the receiver is acceptable with very little downside, if any.

Name:  Mesa Tactical side saddle conversion.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  64.4 KB
    Last edited by Dorsai; 09-24-2022 at 01:14 PM.

Good point regarding potential corrosion issues. I have the regular black 1301 so the finish is anodized aluminum. I’m not worried about corrosion. I can see how that would be different on a gun with a parkerized finish.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    In case anyone is looking… Aim Surplus has LE trade in 14” barrels with low-pro rifle sights.

https://aimsurplus.com/products/leo-...w-rifle-sights
    A bit of an update if anyone is curious…

My barrel showed up last week… missing the rear sight blade. I contacted XS, and they supplied the part number to order a replacement. But rather than throw more money at this, I contacted Aim, and they’re exchanging it for me. We’ll see how the replacement looks. In any event, it’s good to know sight parts are still available.

A bit of an update if anyone is curious…

My barrel showed up last week… missing the rear sight blade. I contacted XS, and they supplied the part number to order a replacement. But rather than throw more money at this, I contacted Aim, and they’re exchanging it for me. We’ll see how the replacement looks. In any event, it’s good to know sight parts are still available.

What are the XS replacement part numbers?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior45 View Post
    What are the XS replacement part numbers?
    The part number for the rear sight is 20-2029s-195-2 for tritium or 20-2029s-195-1 for a non-tritium white stripe.

I didn’t think to ask about fronts… though in hindsight, maybe I should’ve. If the replacement barrel is buggered up, I’m just going to keep it and replace the sights.

The part number for the rear sight is 20-2029s-195-2 for tritium or 20-2029s-195-1 for a non-tritium white stripe.

I didn’t think to ask about fronts… though in hindsight, maybe I should’ve. If the replacement barrel is buggered up, I’m just going to keep it and replace the sights.
    Thanks!

The XS front sights with Tritium are:
    10-2614B-400-4 Standard
    10-2614B-400-3 Big Dot

Again, these are with tritium inserts. They asked me to send pics to confirm the mounting and I sent pics of the 14.5” and 18.5” barrels so I’m guessing (as I expected) they are the same. Because they aren’t a catalogued item you need to call them to place an order.

User Tag List