Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up a 870

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    That's how strongly you feel about the magpul stock? Why, if I may ask?
    Not the most articulate critter here Neph, let me reflect on it & see if I can capsulize my thoughts on it in the next day or so.

In the meantime perhaps another user/fan of the MP stocks can weigh in here, you know so I can then jump in & say "yeah, that's it exactly "

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Not the most articulate critter here Neph, let me reflect on it & see if I can capsulize my thoughts on it in the next day or so.

In the meantime perhaps another user/fan of the MP stocks can weigh in here, you know so I can then jump in & say "yeah, that's it exactly "
    If it makes you feel any better, the good Dr. House feels pretty strongly about 'em too and has advocated strongly on their behalf with me via PM.
    Pretty hard to turn one's back on strong endorsements from such respected folks as you two.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

After reading through this thread I am not sure if that's the answer for me - concerned about getting my fingers jammed up during recoil.
    Hasn't been a problem for me. The fore end and a rail is about $40 so it's not a huge loss if you don't like it. Even if you don't mount anything on it the Magpul fore end is pretty nice. And the buttstock is the tits. Try and find a large guns store that has a magpul equiped shotgun is stock. I know Mossberg has a couple models, not sure if Remington does. That'll let you feel it out.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Hasn't been a problem for me. The fore end and a rail is about $40 so it's not a huge loss if you don't like it. Even if you don't mount anything on it the Magpul fore end is pretty nice. And the buttstock is the tits. Try and find a large guns store that has a magpul equiped shotgun is stock. I know Mossberg has a couple models, not sure if Remington does. That'll let you feel it out.
    I'm definitely not closed to the idea entirely...

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, the good Dr. House feels pretty strongly about 'em too and has advocated strongly on their behalf with me via PM.
    Pretty hard to turn one's back on strong endorsements from such respected folks as you two.
    Blues I'm just a lowly civie, not even in the league w/ the likes of Doc House, very much why I've trained over the years & continue to w/ cats like DB, Wayne & another nearby fella named Paul.

Now Bigghoss said above that the MP stock "is the tits" so for now I'll let that be my summation of said stock.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 07-17-2017 at 07:14 PM. Reason: added pic

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Blues I'm just a lowly civie, not even in the league w/ the likes of Doc House, very much why I've trained over the years & continue to w/ cats like DB, Wayne & another nearby fella named Paul.

Now Bigghoss said above that the MP stock "is the tits" so for now I'll let that be my summation of said stock.
    So you do not run the magpul foreend? What do you run instead and why?

also, what are folks' experiences with the XS/epoxy-installed tritium front sights? I am not unhappy wit the bead for now but am in the market for improvements.

Site Supporter

Setting up a 870

also, what are folks' experiences with the XS/epoxy-installed tritium front sights? I am not unhappy wit the bead for now but am in the market for improvements.
    The XS sight is a significant improvement over the plain bead because it's much easier and quicker to pick up, especially against a cluttered target and in suboptimal lighting. Installation is easy with good surface prep and JB Weld, and mine has not come off after being subjected to years and many hundreds of rounds of buckshot and slugs.

Here's a rough pic to give you an idea of what a sight picture would look like:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by nalesq; 07-17-2017 at 07:51 PM.

I have an X/S Big Dot tritium front sight epoxied onto the front of my shotguns that do not have rifle sights. That is three of them. The other two shotguns have rifle sights. I have never had any kind of issue with them separating. I do not baby my shotguns, either.

My shotgun mechanic uses an adhesive that is found in the aircraft industry to laminate carbon fiber wings. That is how he glues the X/S Big Dot on the barrel. It's adhesive qualities are good enough for me.

Three of my shotguns wear Aimpoint Micro H-1's. Two have Magpul stocks as well. I am a big fan of the Magpul stocks.

I prefer Surefire 618 lights on my shotguns. My Beretta 1301 has a Surefire X-300U with a tape switch. My Winchester Model 12 does not have a light or spare round carrier on the receiver, it's got an old Eagle buttstock round carrier.

I'm in the process of setting up a 870 Police Magnum for a nephew, as a present for when he returns from his deployment overseas. I have taught him a fair bit about shotguns, and he enjoys them as well. So I'm building him one.

And David S gives you good advice - pay attention to the sling system you pick.
    Last edited by SeriousStudent; 07-17-2017 at 07:58 PM. Reason: bad spellur

So you do not run the magpul foreend? What do you run instead and why?
    I added the MP stock to the camo'd VCS gun in 2012ish & never tried the MP forend as the current OEM @ that time seemed fine.

Bought the middle VCS 870 (like new) in late 2014, added the stock & REALLY liked the OEM rubber Hogue forend it came with so stayed the course as it has a semi-tacky feel to it.

Agreed w/ both David & Bill re. sling attachment points as I'm a cross dresser as Paul described me years ago or just simply confused. He labeled me that, as I run a long gun left, pistol AIWB/right handed so the sling issue is more important in my case, as bottom of the stock is no bueno for my usage.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 07-17-2017 at 08:05 PM. Reason: eta sling thoughts

User Tag List