Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock 27 Breakage: Repair Suggestions?

Thanks, Nephrology.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    So, knowing nothing at all about Glocks, would that many live rounds have likely had the same issue? Would the absence/presence of snap caps change anything?
    Well, I have significantly over 20K live rounds through G-23 and there is no sign of breechface failure. From what I've been able to determine, live fire pushes the breechface backwards, where it belongs. Somehow, and I'm not entirely clear how, dryfire pushes the breechface forwards, where it shouldn't be. Others will certainly have a better explanation.

I've never been fond of snap caps, especially during repetitive fire practice. Press the trigger. Rack the slide. Find the snap cap. Pick up the snap cap. Chamber the snap cap. Press the trigger. Rack . . .

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaceful John View Post
    Well, I have significantly over 20K live rounds through G-23 and there is no sign of breechface failure. From what I've been able to determine, live fire pushes the breechface backwards, where it belongs. Somehow, and I'm not entirely clear how, dryfire pushes the breechface forwards, where it shouldn't be. Others will certainly have a better explanation.

I've never been fond of snap caps, especially during repetitive fire practice. Press the trigger. Rack the slide. Find the snap cap. Pick up the snap cap. Chamber the snap cap. Press the trigger. Rack . . .
    Ah, right, you've got to rack the slide between dry fires. I always forget that in these conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaceful John View Post

On Glocks at least you can retract the slide far enough to reset the trigger without fully extracting the snap cap.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

I dryfire with a snap cap and only cycle the action enough to reset the striker. You don't have to pull back very far to get it to that point. I've heard of about 5 or 6 breach face failures on heavily dry-fired Glock pistols (including Todd's) and am hoping a snap cap helps long term. In reality, it may not help, but it makes me feel better about myself... and isn't that what really counts?
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 09-28-2015 at 01:19 AM.

Update:

Following the suggestions above, I returned my barrel / slide (could not separate them) by Priority Mail to Glock on 28 Sep 2015. It was delivered on 30 Sep 2015. Russell Murphy, Glock pistolsmith, called a couple of days later to confirm the breech block issue. The repaired barrel / slide unit was FedEx'd back (prepaid by Glock) and received on 16 Oct 2015.

Although the gun was well out of warranty and had been dry-fired over 19,000 times, there was no charge for the repair. That pleased me very much. The next time my eyes start to stray towards the Sig 320, I'll remember when I expected an expensive evening with Glock and she said, "Let's just eat in. I'll cook something."

Many thanks to SecondsCount, Nephrology, and LokNLoad.

John

User Tag List