Thread: AR - What are those drills you should know your times for?

AR - What are those drills you should know your times for?

We took a class with Robert Vogel earlier this year. He noted that there were specific drills pistol shooters should know their times for including Bill Drill at 7, 15 and 25, the standard 6-plate rack and El Prez.

I'm preparing next month's small group practice session and wondering - what AR drills should we know our times for?

happy shooting, Jerry
    Last edited by dustyvarmint; 09-27-2015 at 07:00 AM.
    "Draw fast, shoot well," Mike W.

Pat Rogers uses the MEUSOC drills a some.

FAST is my metric.

I took a class a while back that had a drill I really enjoyed. 50 yards start standing with weapon charged and on safe at the low ready. On the beep you fire 2 to a 1x1 steel plate, engage saftey, drop to kneeling, 2 shots on steel, engage saftey, drop to prone, 2 shots at prone. I think the main reason I like this is I beat everybody there with iron sights, then went head to head with an AI with a borrowed rifle that had a red dot and beat the AI. It was fun, short and low rounds which I like. No reload but you could always incorporate one in.

Given the context of the OP, it sounds like the idea is more about individual quick drills that one knows their time/score on off the top of their head, not so much long quacks like the MEUSOC.

I like some of the Viking Tactics drills for this like the 2x2x2 and the 1-6, but I confess I no longer have my "on demand" times memorized like I used to.

I disagree with Vogel on this, unless one is trying to climb the gaming ladder.

Site Supporter

AR - What are those drills you should know your times for?

I pretty much use the CSAT standards as my baseline rifle metric. If you find that's not challenging enough, reduce the chest zone to a 5x7 or 4x6 index card..

Link: http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/standards.htm
    Last edited by Dave J; 09-27-2015 at 05:56 PM.

The particular drills that Robert Vogel uses are important for breaking down stages and estimating your hit factor. If you know your shot times for those drills, then you know how long it takes to draw to a first shot at various distances, split times at various distances, transitions on steel and paper, and speed reload times. You can use that data to estimate how long it will take you to run a stage, and from there decide whether to shoot it aggressively, conservatively, or somewhere in between.

If you're just looking for some drills to shoot and track your performance, Vogel's are probably as good as any. They cover a fairly broad overview of general shooting performance.

Note that for the data to have any value, you have to shoot your drills to an accuracy standard that matches up with your type of shooting.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

User Tag List