Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Springfield RO 9mm 1911

I can't attest to reliability as I only occasionally shoot mine. But it is able to chew through steel cased Wolff with no issues. Also, you should at least budget some money to get it dehorned as it is replete with sharp edges. I also had to change recoil spring to a heavier one (#13, I believe) to make the slide close a little more "authoritatively".

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    and I believe 10-8 make fixed rear replacements for the RO.
    Nah, that one's for Bomar, not for the LPA cut. From the product description aboard 10-8:
    ***Does not fit LPA dovetails, which look similar to the Bomar, and are used on most Springfield adjustable sight 1911 models, including Loaded, Trophy Match and Range Officer Models.
    Concur on Harrison, I put a blank rear on mine; he makes 1- and 2-dot trit rears, as well. If you do that, BPT to replace the front sight with something around a .220" height.

Added a Wilson magwell, ambi safety, and flat wire recoil spring kit. Had a little work done to the innards, as I suffered from the disconnector seize that's been mentioned, though a Marvel cut was not done (may still be in the future); it helped, but I still had some lingering failures to go into battery, even with a 13# spring. Upped to a 15# spring, which seems to have eliminated that symptom; I'll end up futzing with a 14# variable on the stock guide rod at some point.

This is not a carry gun, so having to play with it doesn't put me off of it in general. Agree with "decent gun for the money...," but for carry 9mm 1911 I'd look at Commander-length and more coin spent.

What's the street-price difference between the RO and the Trojan?

The Trojan appears to be the go-to and as such has been on my short-list of guns to pick up for quite awhile. If the RO is serviceable and less expensive that may move the purchase up!
    Last edited by rob_s; 10-02-2015 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    What's the street-price difference between the RO and the Trojan?

The Trojan appears to be the go-to and as such has been on my short-list of guns to pick up for quite awhile. If the RO is serviceable and less expensive that may move the purchase up!
    $750 for the RO and $1200ish for the Trojan.

The RO has a forged steel (or aluminum) frame. The Trojan is cast. For a 9mm I can't possibly imagine this means anything.

We've had a couple local SSTK/ESP shooters with Trojans and they've been very happy. I assume the difference is more attention paid during assembly. It would explain the cheaper frame and higher cost. Presumably the RO has the same QC/whatever ast he TRP just with fewer niceties, but I hope that isn't true. My ROC, for instance, had a shit ton of metal fall out of the chamber when my smith ran a finish reamer through it, and the Springfield thumb safety has a lot of travel past the off click. The extractor had a fair bit of clocking before work also.

I still love the gun, especially once the smith got done with it. But there are more STI shooters on benos and more camera shooters on the Springfield subsectino of 1911forum.com and that, to me, says a lot.

I would buy a Trojan if I were inclined to shoot the gun as-is, and an RO(C) if i were inclined to use it as the basis of a semi-custom build. $450 worth of custom work will go far, especially if you don't care about looks (blending magwells, polishing things, etc).

edit: just to be fair, most people I know that have taken the time to put a new finish reamer through ALMOST ANY barrel have found it to take off some metal. This example was just particularly excessive.
    Last edited by jh9; 10-02-2015 at 03:40 PM.

I picked up a 9mm RO compact last weekend. First 2 mags= a malfunction every other round. Then I remembered I was shooting a 1911 & not a HK or Glock. Broke it down & lubed it up good. Only two more malfunctions with the remaining ammo I had (200 rounds total). (Note to self...lube your gun dumb£ss) All rounds hit about 4 inches high at 25ft not yards. Took it out today with 100 rounds of 124gr blazer brass & 50 147gr HST. 3 malfunctions with the blazer & none with the HST. Both loads still shooting high even with a 6:00 hold. The HST is noticeably hotter than the blazer. So maybe it needs some break-in time. Then on about the 40th round of HST the front sights fiber optic rod left for parts unknown. Going to call Springfield Monday & try to get a new sight. Got torrential rains here this weekend anyway. So...I like the gun but not its performance so far. Trying again next week if I can get a new front sight. Fingers crossed !!
    Last edited by somebeach; 10-03-2015 at 12:51 AM.

I can say from experience that Springfield's customer service is excellent.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List