Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange/interesting G19 reloading issue

Strange/interesting G19 reloading issue

I picked up a new Gen 4 G19 Gray Frame today and put 150 rounds through it (fed/functioned perfectly). I was running the FAST a little bit and kept failing to drop the empty mag. When I slowed down and analyzed it, I discovered that the meaty bottom of my palm hanging over the bottom of the grip is catching the magazine and preventing it from dropping free.

Has anyone else experienced this? How did you overcome it?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Hi Ash, I know some people who extend their pinky finger out to prevent the issue from occurring. Here's a video with some tips that may help you out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibMJJTcOiRs

The other side of your issue can be far less fun, which is catching that chunk of skin between the floor plate and mag well entrance on a hard reload. Be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by mc1911 View Post
    The other side of your issue can be far less fun, which is catching that chunk of skin between the floor plate and mag well entrance on a hard reload. Be careful.
    Yeah, my reloads are G17 mags to avoid that issue.

regular_guy: thanks for the video. I'll try with the pinky thing and see how it works.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I picked up a new Gen 4 G19 Gray Frame today and put 150 rounds through it (fed/functioned perfectly). I was running the FAST a little bit and kept failing to drop the empty mag. When I slowed down and analyzed it, I discovered that the meaty bottom of my palm hanging over the bottom of the grip is catching the magazine and preventing it from dropping free.

Has anyone else experienced this? How did you overcome it?
    Easiest solution is to use the men's version of the 19. It is available in limited numbers, and is known as the 17 or 22 :-)

I should mention that I'm likely way smaller than you, but have no issue packing a 17 or 22. In fairness though, I am built to carry a gun.

I should also mention that I recently received a federal grant to subsidise my upcoming multi year journey to try and bring full size guns to the small gun carrying savages. :-)
    Last edited by SLG; 10-03-2015 at 06:47 AM.

Can you get your hand higher on the gun, causing less of your hand to block the magazine? With my hand higher, it has alleviated pinching with the 19 and P239, when speed loading.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have experienced the issue on several occasions of both failure to drop or worse pinching the crap outta my hand. Mostly the pinching when inserting a new mag, which mostly happens when I am going for very fast speeds of reloads. Gen3 Glock 19's not a problem for me as I need to flip or adjust my grip to hit the magazine release. Gen4 19's and I initially learned the hard way to have a bit of a "cup" in my hand without sticking out a pinkie finger. Currently if I perform my standard magwell work with reshaping the stock glock magwell, this is not an issue no matter how I grip the pistol on a reload. I didn't form the "speedwell" on the Glock to address this issue, it was just an unplanned but added benefit when it came to the Gen4 19's.

What grip size are you using? I have pinched the hell out of the bottom/outside of my palm on a reload with my G19, but only when using the small (no backstrap installed) grip. I now use and prefer the large and have not had the same issue. It seems to allow my hand to stretch out enough around the grip that there isn't any excess skin to stop the mag from dropping or pinch it in the gun.

The G19 grip is just short enough for me to have this issues while dropping the mag, or (much worse) pinching while reloading fast. That's why I prefer the G17 too.
    You could use a magwell + mag extension/baseplate, but with the G19/23 when doing the reloading sequence I relax my pinky finger so that it opens some and avoids these problems. It's pretty easy, and also works with some other guns, so it is my standard procedure now.

I have this problem with Glock 19s as well. The only solution that worked for me was getting Agency Arms magwells on my Gen 3 and 4 19s.

User Tag List