Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: In tears, I ask:

put it in you stove upside down an run a self clean mode that will make it totaly clean of all weirdess then cook some sausage or bacon with it easy as that

oh and add more butter to the pan when doing tortillas

Lard or butter and bacon.

I agree with Dave72 - make sure that mother is clean of all the crap.

-Rob

Site Supporter
    Are you doing fresh Tortillas or frozen? I'm thinking the little bit of moisture in frozen might be an issue?

Site Supporter
    Agree with a lot said. I spent a few tedious and messy hours hand sanding my lodge pans with sandpaper and a little water, changing the water a bunch. It helped and get you reset for the flax seed oil which I would recommend. Old cast iron is a lot smoother than lodge.

I still get sticking when the heat is wrong and I don't use enough oil. For tortilla I would highly recommend finding some pork fat from pastured hogs (they get to run around free all day and be pigs) and rendering your own lard which is simple in a crockpot. A few weeks of eggs everyday is lard and your pan will be full of awesome.

I found an old school cast iron at an antique store ( wife broken the 8 inch Lodge) and I am on the slow transition to vintage cast iron, it's the best pan I have.

cm try the self clean trick it will burn it down to bare metal and look brand new

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    "Why is it so hard to break in Lodge cast iron pans?"

I've tried Crisco, olive oil, vegetable oil, and bacon grease. I've tried hours of cooking these pans coated with the different oils/fats at different temperatures. Dang, this is frustrating.

I think that I may need to haunt antique stores and ghetto swap meets for some old school cast iron cookware.
    My experience mirrors yours.

Tried bacon grease, then multiple different cooking oils, each time heating pan in 500 degree oven for various periods, re-oiling, then re-heating in oven, repeating, etc.
    I tried multiple different "formulas".

Eventually stripped pan using oven cleaner (repeated treatments, leaving cleaner-sprayed pan in sealed plastic bag for a week at a time), started over with food-grade flaxseed oil, thin coat > heating, another thin coat > heating, for a total of six treatments.

Pan looks nice and smooth, glossy black and STUFF STILL STICKS TO IT!

Yeah, I preheat the pan and cook with (usually) coconut oil, and I clean the pan when cooled with hot hot water, using coarse Kosher salt to scrape off any remaining grunge, but I haven't found Lodge cast iron cooking to be as spiffy as some apparently have.

Some day maybe I'll get an old antique Griswold pan, sandblast it and start again.

Meanwhile, I continue to use mostly polytetrafluoroethylene-coated skillets for non-stick cooking, since I've used 'em for 50+ years and I'm not sick or dead yet.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    Tried bacon grease, then multiple different cooking oils, each time heating pan in 500 degree oven for various periods, re-oiling, then re-heating in oven, repeating, etc.
    I'll admit it probably doesn't make much difference, but I've not seen a 500 degree recommendation for seasoning a pan. Most are in the 300 - 350 range like this one. http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-seas...-kitchn-107614

put it in you stove upside down an run a self clean mode that will make it totaly clean of all weirdess
    I might do this for a 50 year old pan that hasn't been maintained properly, and you need to start over with, but I don't think I'd do it to a new "pre-seasoned" pan that is pretty smooth right now like the OP has.

My wife loves cast iron cookware. She has some 15 different Lodge skillets, pans, pots--no problems with sticking or other issues. No exotic greases or oils. No major seasoning or break in efforts. She claims they work great.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

The issue with new Lodge cookware is that the surface finish is too rough. To break in a new one, take it to your shop and use an orbital sander or something similar to create a smoother surface. Then clean it, dry it, and cook a pound of bacon in it. Should be seasoned just fine.

User Tag List