Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: In tears, I ask:

Excellent, thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    "Why is it so hard to break in Lodge cast iron pans?"

I've tried Crisco, olive oil, vegetable oil, and bacon grease. I've tried hours of cooking these pans coated with the different oils/fats at different temperatures. Dang, this is frustrating.

I think that I may need to haunt antique stores and ghetto swap meets for some old school cast iron cookware.
    https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRwcMFXD/
    Even if you dont watch tik tok if you use cast iron you need to watch this.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRwcMFXD/
    Even if you dont watch tik tok if you use cast iron you need to watch this.
    I switched to enameled cast iron...works for my needs

I think the finish is the problem. I have problems with my Lodge cast iron sticking occasionally. I'm going take a sander to all of them soon. Of course I'll have to re-season those but that only takes a few hours.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

You bake them in your oven on your ovens self cleaning cycle for starters. This is key.

Site Supporter
    A smooth surface with heat is what everyone is is looking forward to withhold cast iron.

My experience your mileage may vary.

Wow timely thread. I'm about ready to use my for target practice. Cannot get it to stop sticking unless I'm basically deep frying in it. After YEARS of 2X daily use it still sticks. Has small areas where it's all shiny black but mostly it's like the day it was bought. Tried every kind of seasoning style with to no effect.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I forgot about this thread but I did find a method that works well for me.

My mother picked up a cast iron skillet with the rough bottom, and I volunteered to season it for her. Using a camp stove setup on a patio table, I cranked it up and put coconut oil in the pan then let it burn off. There was a lot of smoke but I didn't care as I was outdoors. After it would burn, I would apply another coat every couple minutes until I had about a dozen coats. The bottom still has some of the rough texture but I feel that it improves the non-stick properties of the pan by having less surface area for the food to stick.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Wipe off any stuck food with a stainless steel scrubber before the pan cools, wipe away any remaining crumbs with a paper towel, and then leave it alone till next time. If you cooked something particularly acidic maybe add a drop or two of oil to the paper towel before wiping out the still hot pan.

Always preheat the pan before cooking and wipe the surface with a lightly oiled paper towel before cooking something sticky like an omelette. Use a lower temperature than other pans except when searing.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I think the finish is the problem. I have problems with my Lodge cast iron sticking occasionally. I'm going take a sander to all of them soon. Of course I'll have to re-season those but that only takes a few hours.

This. New cast iron is too rough.

I don’t know how to do it, but if the inside was polished it would be like the old (80+) ones.

User Tag List