Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: In tears, I ask:

In tears, I ask:

"Why is it so hard to break in Lodge cast iron pans?"

I've tried Crisco, olive oil, vegetable oil, and bacon grease. I've tried hours of cooking these pans coated with the different oils/fats at different temperatures. Dang, this is frustrating.

I think that I may need to haunt antique stores and ghetto swap meets for some old school cast iron cookware.
    #RESIST

Have you tried Fireclean?
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 09-26-2015 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Have you tried Fierclean?
    /wins the internet

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Have you tried Fireclean?
    #RESIST

Is it a pre-seasoned Lodge pan?

I have an old Wagner, that I bought new, which is pretty good, and a newer Lodge flat griddle which is one of the pre-seasoned models, which is pretty good too, but I use it much less.

I've used Crisco to season my pans, but I look at that more as rust proofing rather than putting a slick surface to it. One technique that I've read, and seems to help for whatever reason, is to use a stainless steel (I don't know if it matters if it is stainless) spatula rather than nylon or silicon tools. Also, remember it takes much longer to get cast iron up to temperature, so make sure your pan is hot enough.

I'm sure folks will love this on a gun forum where folks really get annoyed with "this super lube fills the pores of the metal", but cooking eggs on the pan really seems to smooth the surface out.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Is it a pre-seasoned Lodge pan?

I have an old Wagner, that I bought new, which is pretty good, and a newer Lodge flat griddle which is one of the pre-seasoned models, which is pretty good too, but I use it much less.

I've used Crisco to season my pans, but I look at that more as rust proofing rather than putting a slick surface to it. One technique that I've read, and seems to help for whatever reason, is to use a stainless steel (I don't know if it matters if it is stainless) spatula rather than nylon or silicon tools. Also, remember it takes much longer to get cast iron up to temperature, so make sure your pan is hot enough.

I'm sure folks will love this on a gun forum where folks really get annoyed with "this super lube fills the pores of the metal", but cooking eggs on the pan really seems to smooth the surface out.
    Yeah, one of them is this one and it's supposedly "pre-seasoned." Tortillas stick to it all of the time. Tortillas are a big deal in this house.
    #RESIST

I have the square version of that pan.

When cooking something that isn't self lubing I typically heat the pan for about 10 minutes before putting anything on it to make sure it is up to temperature. I have an electric range, a gas burner may get the pan up to temperature faster. I suspect with a tortilla, you'll probably still need a little fat to keep them from sticking.
    Last edited by JTQ; 09-26-2015 at 08:05 AM.

In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Yeah, about that price....
    #RESIST

I've given up on Lodge iron. Griswold is worth the $$$$ IMHO.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

User Tag List