Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So I got to shoot Hornady's new 5.56 Nato 75 Grain TAP SBR load yesterday

So I got to shoot Hornady's new 5.56 Nato 75 Grain TAP SBR load yesterday

Sorry if someone's put this out before...

Myself and another instructor attended a ballistic/forensic/product demonstration yesterday in which Hornady reps fired a variety of munitions into gel blocks using the FBI standards.

We saw the penetration and expansion results of several different pistol and rifle calibers in the Hornady LE line, then had the chance to fire the TAP SBR rounds through the rep's personal SBR without a suppressor.

Compared to the thunder of my issue 11.5 Commando the load sounded very mild/muted when firing and there was barely any movement of the barrel. Brant said the round contains a Propellant closer to gel than powder and produces a nominal 2,300 fps from 11.5 barrels.

We're in the process of trading our older 14.5-in. and 16-in.Colt's for 11.5s for most of our 250-sworn officer and are strongly considering making this the general issue ammo.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    Brant said the round contains a Propellant closer to gel than powder and produces a nominal 2,300 fps from 11.5 barrels.
    Can you speak more on this gel propellent?

Thanks.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Some of the info I have found about Gel Propellant's..... NONE of it relates to use in Small Arms Ammo.... but still very interesting.

Gel propellants

Gel propellants enable the construction of rocket engines with variable thrust strength, thrust control and thrust interruption combined with low signature, high specific performance and low sensitivity and vulnerability. Gel propellants are solid under normal environmental conditions. Under pressure and shear stress they become fluid, and their transfer from the tank into the combustion chamber enables controlled throughput and thrust.

http://www.bayern-chemie.com/gel.htm

http://www.northropgrumman.com/Capab...ropulsion.aspx

Very interesting.... but not smalls arms related.

Any word on this ammo coming to market, so we can test it ourselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post
    Any word on this ammo coming to market, so we can test it ourselves?

http://www.hornadyle.com/contact-us

Last I knew, Kathy McHale was the LE sales rep at Hornady.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

It'd be interesting to see what the Hornady rep meant by "gel" since most smokeless powders are in a gelatinous/plasticized state prior to being formed or extruded into a final product. It may then need to be dried and coated with graphite. Gunpowder isn't really a "powder".

FYI....Available at quite a few distributors.... as of 24 Feb, 2016

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/ri.../75-gr-tap-sbr

QUOTE.....

"TAP® SBR™ is designed specifically for 10.5"-11.5" SBR’s by using proprietary propellant technology and a bullet designed with technology from industry leading Critical Duty® FlexLock® bullets. TAP® SBR™ provides exceptional ammunition performance in SBR’s suppressed or unsuppressed, with virtually no flash or residue, dramatically reduced sound signature, will not foul or overheat suppressors, uniform velocity and accuracy, and provides controllable rate of fire in automatic platforms. Designed to meet the requirements of the FBI protocol, TAP® SBR™ is the optimum choice for 10.5"-11.5" barreled 5.56 rifles."

This is the NEW 75 grain TAP® SBR cartridge in caliber 5.56 NATO. Hornady Item No. 81295. Packaged 20 rounds per box, 10 individual boxes in each order. All have identical lot numbers. The new 5.56 TAP SBR meets FBI protocol through all six barriers and is the first load specifically designed for short-barreled rifles.

At the heat of this 5.56 NATO load is the NEW 75 grain TAP SBR bullet - infused with technology from the industry leading Critical Duty FlexLock pistol bullets.

The TAP SBR utilizes a new propellant developed specifically for optimal performance in short-barreled rifles, and exhibits exceptional performance in both suppressed and unsuppressed rifles.

Sound signature tests have shown significant reductions of 6 to 7 decibels compared to other loads. In addition, the dramatic efficiency of the propellant results in a 15 to 20 percent temperature reduction. It delivers a progressive burn rate, yet burns clean with minimal flash.

•Specifically Designed and Optimized for short-barreled rifles (10.5"-11.5")
    •Meets FBI protocol though all six barriers

•Proprietary propellant technology
    •6-7 db sound signature reduction suppressed
    •Low Flash
    •Exceeds FBI accuracy standards
    •Muzzle velocity: 2321 fps out of 11.5" 5.56 NATO test barrel 1:7"
    •Muzzle energy: 897 ft lbs
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 02-25-2016 at 01:17 AM.

Sort of want....
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Sort of want....
    I ordered some from GT Distributors... $19 / 20 rounds.

Interesting load
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List