Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Excellent article on the Westgate Mall attack

Excellent article on the Westgate Mall attack

http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/09/20/...ack-al-shabab/

Disturbing article. Worth reading. Feel free to discuss after reading.
    #RESIST

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/09/20/...ack-al-shabab/

Disturbing article. Worth reading. Feel free to discuss after reading.
    Outstanding article. Thanks for sharing.

It seems like that Reuters photographer had more balls than a lot of the security forces.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Volumes of commentary could be offered I suppose, but I'm always left with this fundamental truth when things like this occur; YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN. But, that's the way it's always been and the way it always will be. It's unfortunate that tragedy must serve as the reminder.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

An attack waiting to happen and a fucking atrocious response from Kenyan officials. Wonder how it'll go down here when it happens.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    One of the similarities I've seen between descriptions of the shooters here, and the description of bad guys in other active shooter-type incidents, is the almost lackadaisical manner they have. Is this a common thing amongst suicidal attackers?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    An attack waiting to happen and a fucking atrocious response from Kenyan officials. Wonder how it'll go down here when it happens.
    Much the same except response will be much swifter. But not swift enough to avert the massive amounts of damage that will occur.

I think that our LE will do a much better job.
    #RESIST

Some stuff that really stood out to me:

News of the assault was beginning to spread via frantic phones calls, texts, and WhatsApp messages. Westgate is in the heart of a Kenyan-Indian part of the city, and the close-knit community there knew better than to rely on the authorities to send help. Instead, the call went out to the community’s own licensed gun holders, who were organized into self-appointed armed neighborhood watch units.

Harish Patel, a member of an outfit calling itself the Krisna Squad, was returning home from a morning spent volunteering at the nearby Hindu crematorium when he received a distress call: There was a robbery at the Nakumatt store in Westgate, with shooting going on. A couple of minutes later, the 43-year-old was within sight of the mall. He patted the pistol he wore on his hip and grabbed the spare magazine he kept in his car.

On the western side of town, Abdul Haji was in a business meeting at the Yaya Centre, another Nairobi shopping mall. The 38-year-old bitumen trader was sipping an Americano when his white iPhone chirruped. It was a text message from his brother: “Trapped in Westgate. Terrorist attack. Pray for me.”

Abdul abandoned the business meeting and rushed to his silver SUV in the basement. As he sped toward Westgate, swerving around cars and over sidewalks to cut through the traffic, he ran through a mental checklist: He had his gun, as always, a Ceska 9mm, but no spare magazine and no body armor.

He reached Westgate minutes after Nura and Harish.

“Where’s the SWAT team?” Katherine kept wondering as the hours ticked by. “Why isn’t somebody coming in here? They should be storming the place and getting us out.”

When somebody did come at last, it was one man (an armed citizen) with a handgun.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I think that our LE will do a much better job.
    I have no doubt they will, but until they get there it's going to be the exact same thing. Big thing to take away is to stay armed and alert as always, and avoid crowded places if you can.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I have no doubt they will, but until they get there it's going to be the exact same thing. Big thing to take away is to stay armed and alert as always, and avoid crowded places if you can.
    Agreed. I can't stand crowded places anyway.
    #RESIST

User Tag List