Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Who likes the .44 special?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Tell me about that front sight, please.
    I am guessing Bowen as it looks like one of mine.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Saw this in a FB group today:

Apparently it's an 80s-vintage ASP conversion of a Ruger Speed Six into a 5-shot .44 Special. Dude snagged it from an uninformed gun shop for $600.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    He's working against the wet Alaskan climate, Steve. Those Hogues are bombproof in that regard.
    Right; but its still painful to look at...

A few of them have Bowen front sights, which I find excellent. Little orange or white dot on the right side is my convention for zeroed and reliable for me, and on the left side means the same for my wife.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Saw this in a FB group today:

Apparently it's an 80s-vintage ASP conversion of a Ruger Speed Six into a 5-shot .44 Special. Dude snagged it from an uninformed gun shop for $600.
    Yea.........cause I have literally been trying to buy one of those for almost 30 years. Combed gunshots, shops, etc......Never even seen one to haggle on. Arrrgggghhhhh
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Yea.........cause I have literally been trying to buy one of those for almost 30 years. Combed gunshots, shops, etc......Never even seen one to haggle on. Arrrgggghhhhh
    From the FB post:

"1981 ASP/Ruger Speed Six, converted to a 5 shot 44 spc. This has been a "Grail" gun for me since I read about it in the April 1982 issue of Combat handguns magazine.
    Found this here in my town, it showed up a couple months ago at a local shop. listed on their website as a "converted Ruger"
    I spent a sleepless night waiting for them to open the next day. I was at their door as they opened.
    I was filling out the 4473 and a guy walked in and did a double take on it laying on the counter. "Do you know what that is" , he asked, as he was bringing up Gunbroker on his phone, I nodded.
    Do you know what the last one sold for? he asked the dealer ( who had no idea what it was) The dealer looked at him, looked at me, picked up the 600.00 asking price I had put on the counter and got me out the door.

I wonder what was said after I left?

Only 96 were produced, I have read of two blowing up when used with 44 mag strength 44 spc handloads."

Site Supporter
    Didn't Bowen do some of those in his early days of gunsmithing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Barrel Fairy dropped me another present today. A 5" .44 Magnum barrel with a "standard" half lug, and the quick change front sight (like on the classic models). Now in addition to a 24 or 29, I'll need another 629 to screw it onto. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    The Barrel Fairy dropped me another present today. A 5" .44 Magnum barrel with a "standard" half lug, and the quick change front sight (like on the classic models). Now in addition to a 24 or 29, I'll need another 629 to screw it onto. :-)
    Before I was jealous.....now....straight up coveting.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Before I was jealous.....now....straight up coveting.
    I think I must have just qualified for some kind of lifetime achievement award, or something. To make Nyeti covetous in a revolver thread...I think I'll retire now. :-) Tell you what, I'll trade you one or both barrels for almost any of the revolvers you have posted, in the history of P-F. I have to miss the festivities this weekend, and not seeing your guns in person is one of my biggest regrets from it. Please say hi to Bobo for me.

User Tag List