Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend Revolver Over Semi Auto for Concealed Carry ?

Site Supporter
    If you need to shoot a shot from inside a pocket...as I understand though, you can catch yourself on fire doing that.

A small snub is stupid easy to conceal but I think their day has passed.

As far as other sized revolvers for concealed carry, I wouldn't hesitate to carry a 3" .357 model 65 or 13.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I'm not trading in my 637 for any 380 Auto POS any time soon

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    If you need to shoot a shot from inside a pocket...as I understand though, you can catch yourself on fire doing that.

As far as other sized revolvers for concealed carry, I wouldn't hesitate to carry a 3" .357 model 65 or 13.
    I do carry a 3" M13 from time to time.

I think the revolver has some advantages over the semi and one of them is the contact distance shot, no slide to go out of battery.
    But I do carry a 9 round single stack 9mm auto most of the time. So much easier to carry a reload and faster to reload.

Site Supporter
    Equipped with a grip that hooks over the waistband (Desantis and Barami come to mind), I find that a J-frame offers excellent concealment with a wide variety of clothes, and with need for neither belt nor holster. I think this versatility can be a great advantage.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I don't think that the small snubby day has passed. In the 1920's and 1930's mr browning's small autos were available along side of the small revolvers and the small revolvers out sold the autos. Regular folks like "pushing the little thingy and the round part moves out so the bullets fall out".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I just had this debate on another forum. Both have advantages, both have disadvantages. I can't say either matters much in shootings I work. I can think of very few wear equipment made a difference one way or the other, and most of those were people with a thumb safety equipped weapon who did not get it deactivated. One was carrying on an empty chamber and couldn't get it chambered as he was tied up with his attackers. I have had one bad guy get the magazine floor plate shot off, dumping his rounds, but he was stitched up by the civilian Samaritan from ambush (behind a store display) I don't think it mattered. I have had one bad guy get hit by a car and the force broke his magazine floor plate, but, you know, hit by a car so probably didn't matter. I've had folks win handily with a pocket carried 5 shot because the bad guy could not react in time once the threat was realized. I've had folks lose with 15 round magazines who never got a shot off.

I split the difference and carry one of each, plus a knife. Sometimes I carry two revolvers, but not that often.

For ages many people have and will continue to defend themselves successfully with revolvers of all configurations and they do it routinely with very little training and practice. I still recommend revolvers to folks that won’t (or can’t) give the necessary time and attention to the manual of arms required for the semi-auto pistol. Practical sized revolvers (K-Frame and smaller) will never become irrelevant for the casual handgun practitioner.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 09-24-2015 at 05:33 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I am a one of each person. That is me, and I my training and the training of most here are not a mirror of America. I have a simple test test that most of America cannot pass with a semi auto pistol.......show me a loaded chamber verification test. Most cannot due this safely or competently. If you cannot safely determine the status of your pistol, it is likely not a good choice. This does not get easier as they get smaller. Combine the inability to determine the status of their firearm with horrific trigger finger and muzzle discipline, and I am not a fan of semi auto's for most people.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I agree with Nyeti and others completely. I get asked multiple times a week for advice on what to carry, from a whole host of people. I almost always recommend a revolver, but never a J frame. A 2 or 3" K frame is my pretty standard answer, with 3" being the best compromise for most people. All depends on what they want the gun for. Some want to carry the gun, but most will not, and just want a "good for 50 years" sock drawer gun. Hard to beat a K frame, and the used M10's are still a good value.

Thank you everyone for your thought provoking replies.

From within my gun orientated bubble, I guess I didn't fully appreciate that there are able bodied men (mid age & younger) who simply will not spend the time & effort required for a semi-auto pistol - for whatever reason.

I really enjoy revolvers. I don't carry them often now though. I might do so when pursuing outdoor activites up in the mountains. I may carry one occasionally when outside on our place in the country. And maybe I'll take the Airweight J-frame when I just can't carry something any bulkier & heavier (those times are rare for me).

But, as others pointed out, the average PF member isn't a reflection of the gun owning public.

User Tag List