Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend Revolver Over Semi Auto for Concealed Carry ?

Recommend Revolver Over Semi Auto for Concealed Carry ?

I have my own opinion on this - but would like input from others. Under what conditions can you see recommending a revolver as someone's primary gun for concealed carry over a semi auto ? Assume a city & suburban environment. Assume the individual has the physical strength to operate either type of handgun. Are there circumstances where you'd recommend a J frame over something like a 9mm Shield (with thumb activated safety ) ?

People with low to moderate experience with firearms have asked me this. In the past I thought " Well, if a revolver is all they would be comfortable carrying . . . " But perhaps that may not be the best reply.
    Last edited by SamAdams; 09-24-2015 at 11:39 AM.

They're pretty damn simple to operate. Semiautos are too with 10 minutes of familiarization, but not everyone dedicates the time to learn things like immediate action.

Load cylinder, close cylinder, pull trigger. If something breaks start running

Honestly I can't find myself often recommending a revolver when guns like the shield are available with great holsters, but they still have a place as a BUG gun.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I would recommend them for people that have little to no experience with firearms, who express very little desire to learn and practice. Since they're buying more of a magic talisman than an actual weapon, I'd prefer to sell them something that's easier to load, unload, safety check, and has a trigger pull that's less conducive to NDs.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

For non dedicated folks....or essentially most of America. This is simply based on administrative handling characteristics, and horrendous issues with handling under stress for most.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

The opinions expressed by you gentlemen are the same that I've held. But recently I've wondered - " Hell, if they won't take the time & trouble to familiarize themselves and at least minimally shoot & train with a handgun, maybe they shouldn't get one."

Hmmm . . . that sounds rather 'cranky' and I'm not that old

The stress factor that nyeti mentions is a big consideration.
    Last edited by SamAdams; 09-24-2015 at 12:24 PM.

What ReverendMeat and nyeti said. These people (I'm married to one) are willing to use it. The simple manual of arms just gives them confidence they understand their gun and that's one less thing. Its a superb choice for peeling someone off of them at close range. They aren't motivated to shut down an active shooter event; they aren't seeking that level of capability. They just want a cretin peeler.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Perhaps they might not should own a gun at all.................... or.........

I've seen real world cases like the little old man who bought a model 36 in the 1960s some time, loaded it with 158gr RNL, and put it in the sock drawer. A couple of years ago during a home invasion robbery he was able to access the snub and ended up shooting the bad guy dead. In the gun grapple that was part of this incident the good guy would have been screwed had he been carrying a semi-auto pistol.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    I have my own opinion on this - but would like input from others. Under what conditions can you see recommending a revolver as someone's primary gun for concealed carry over a semi auto ? Assume a city & suburban environment. Assume the individual has the physical strength to operate either type of handgun. Are there circumstances where you'd recommend a J frame over something like a 9mm Shield (with thumb activated safety ) ?

People with low to moderate experience with firearms have asked me this. In the past I thought " Well, if a revolver is all they would be comfortable carrying . . . " But perhaps that may not be the best reply.
    Personally I often just carry a J frame. They are a good pocket pistol, simple to use, I can shoot them reasonably well and based upon the types of crimes in my locality, the chance that I will need more rounds is small. I recommend them to people who are thinking of carrying for the same reason--but I urge them to become proficient with a pistol before carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    ... something that's easier to load, unload, safety check, and has a trigger pull that's less conducive to NDs.

Add to that: easier to bring a disparate group of people to a given level of proficiency in not much time, and you just described why revolvers dominated US police work for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    ... a cretin peeler.
    Stolen.

User Tag List