Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Officers sized magazines

Officers sized magazines

I just picked up a Colt Concealed Carry Officers (one with the mis marked Special Combat Officers slide). I really like it. I have learned in the past that most of these tend to run best with a 6 round factory magazine. Has anyone had any experience with the Colt factory 7 rounders in these? Gut says to stick with the 6 rounders, but I am open to the seven if they are reliable. I have not had good luck with many of the aftermarket magazines, particularly in the lightweight frame guns.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I'd like to know too. I just paid for a Wilson Combat Colt Officers, and was just going to order WC mags for it.
    Last edited by theJanitor; 09-24-2015 at 11:14 AM. Reason: found out what pistol nyeti was referring to

One would think that was built around the Wilson magazines. I have found that many 1911's run best with a specific magazine, and you can usually count the ones they come with as being GTG.....note I said usually because....1911.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

That's what I assumed as well, but more options are always better

What are you running in the FAG gun?

I generally avoid Colt's mags, not because they aren't good, just that Colt doesn't make mags and you often don't know what you're going to get. Over the years I've seen GI followers, the Devel follower as used in McCormick mags, and what is probably their current supplier, the CheckMate Patented Follower (CMF).

Typically, you'll see either the Devel follower or the CMF in the 7 round Officer's models or 8 round Government model Colt mags since that's what it takes to squeeze the extra round in that size tube. if that's the follower you want, I'd just buy either the McCormick version or the CheckMate version that way you know what you're getting.

I typically buy my CheckMate mags from Top Gun Supply http://www.topgunsupply.com/gun-maga...heck-mate.html

McCormick mags are of course available practically everywhere.
    Last edited by JTQ; 09-24-2015 at 12:00 PM.

I have a Dan Wesson CCO. It likes Wilson 7 round magazines a lot. It hates Wilson 8 round magazines (with the little bumper on the floorplate). I also have Checkmates that work and Metalform 6 round mags that are OK in practice but are too rough-feeling for comfort in carry. I have a stack of mags in my trunk right now, let me know if you want me to drop them off for T&E as I was just getting ready to go on another Glock bender.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    What are you running in the FAG gun?
    Right now, Colt 6 rounders.

For JTQ and JAD. As far as non-standard capacity Colt mags, I would agree as far as better available. I have found 6 round Officers and 7 round standard mags from Colt generally run well and tend to have good longevity. This has been especially true in the lightweight guns. Wilson's and I have not done well. While they usually work new, it is not a mag I want to leave loaded for extended periods. Of the extended, I like McCormick power mags in a standard size for my Colts. What was funny is my old shooting partner had great luck with Wilson's and McCormicks sucked in his Kimber......made trading out an easy process. My experience with Officer size guns is much more limited, so this will be a new path. With my new lightwieght and a custom all steel CCO at MARS in line, it is something I need to get figured out.

Wilson's and I have not done well. While they usually work new, it is not a mag I want to leave loaded for extended periods.
    I don't have any first hand experience with Officer size mags, and I'm not trying to convince you one way or another, but were those 7 round Wilson's for your Officer size guns. Wilson has 6 rounders, that I suspect may last a little longer. In full size mags, I've had better luck with the the 7 round 47 over the 8 round 47D.

Wilson 6 round Officer mags http://shopwilsoncombat.com/6-Round/products/410/

User Tag List