Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home defense longarm in ban state (CO)?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Home defense longarm in ban state (CO)?

So, eventually I would like to get a longarm for home defense here in the state of Colorado. I have been almost entirely a pistol guy for the majority of my time as a shooter (save my 870 Wingmaster which is currently serving in this capacity). However, I would eventually like to get into longarms with a mind towards self defense in the home.

While I have plenty of grandfathered 17 round 9mm Glock magazines, I can't legally purchase new magazines in Colorado with a capacity greater than 15 rounds. With this in mind, what home defense longarms would y'all recommend? I have mostly been leaning towards an automatic shotgun (either a FN SLP or a Benelli of some stripe).

Are there any centerfire rifles I should be considering? or is the shotgun the way to go in my situation? I will also probably move into bolt action rifles/long distance shooting in the much longer term but short term I'd like something that I can use for more 'practical' purposes...
    Last edited by Nephrology; 09-21-2015 at 09:13 AM.

There are some really top notch threads about setting up an AR carbine for HD buried in the History. I've got a couple AR carbines but I still keep a bead sighted 870 with Federal Flite Control #1 buck as the primary long gun for this purpose.

If one is to choose a new specifically HD purposed rifle then I would think the AR carbine in 5.56 or .300 Blackout stands at the top of the heap.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Do you have children in the house? HD long arms is problematic with children.
    #RESIST

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Nope, and none for the forseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    There are some really top notch threads about setting up an AR carbine for HD buried in the History. I've got a couple AR carbines but I still keep a bead sighted 870 with Federal Flite Control #1 buck as the primary long gun for this purpose.

If one is to choose a new specifically HD purposed rifle then I would think the AR carbine in 5.56 or .300 Blackout stands at the top of the heap.
    even in the context of being limited to 15rd mags?
    Last edited by Nephrology; 09-21-2015 at 09:26 AM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post

Capacity is the last consideration I would worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post

Compared to the mil and LE heavy hitters here I'm a boob re fighting with a rifle but the AR carbine offers a range of advantages (lower recoil, more ammo on board, AR ergos, ease of accessorizing with a white light) that I think exist with a 15 round limit just as much as they do with 20 or 30. OTOH I have NO idea at all how well 15 round AR mags run. I know I've never had a problem with the 10 rounders.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Don't have kids and won't have some point, but likely will at some point. Is the problem due mostly with storage/security vs. accessibility, or over-penetration of interior walls and hitting family members?

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Don't have kids and won't have some point, but likely will at some point. Is the problem due mostly with storage/security vs. accessibility, or over-penetration of interior walls and hitting family members?
    With the right ammo choices, over penetration is not a problem. Plenty of info on that in the Ammo section. For me, my biggest problem is what do I do with my long gun when I get to my 3 1/2 year old and need to move. Meaning, it's difficult to manipulate/control/carry people with one arm and operate a long gun affectively with the other. So as much as I prefer a long gun for HD, my go when everyone is in the house is a Glock 17/x300.

12 ga shotgun.

M1 Carbine with original GI 15 rd mags.

Lever gun (.30-30, .44 Mag, .45 Colt, etc...)

AR15 with 20 rd mags pinned to 15 (depending on specifics of state law and reliability)
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    The former. Remember that 9mm is more likely to over penetrate than 556.
    #RESIST

User Tag List