Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to write an After Action Report?

How to write an After Action Report?

I did a quick search and was looking for some kind of sticky on what exactly should be written in an AAR. I didn't find anything here with my quick search.

I keep a journal for my own use but, I'm not use to writing an AAR for the public. Is there a thread on how to write one? I'm interested in seeing what really should be included and what shouldn't be included.

I would think things like who taught it, what was the focus of the course etc should be included.

I can think of a few things that shouldn't be included: people's names that attended, exact drills performed that would be considered intellectual property.

If you are reading an AAR what would you like included, what do you think is just a waste of time and space to include and what do you think should never be included in an AAR?

Thanks for the guidance.

I'm just a random noob, not ex .mil or LEO. I think this is a great question, though, and I'd be interested in the answers you get.

Since I use class AARs to get an idea of a course, I came up with a list of info I would like to see. Since it is along the lines of the topic, I'll paste it in below.

Essential:

Course Name:
    Date:
    Course Overview:
    Fee:
    Instructor Bio:
    Venue:

Desirable:

Learning Objectives:
    Syllabus:
    Pre-Requisites:
    Required Equipment:
    Recommended Equipment:
    Total Ammunition needed:
    Local accommodations / RV Parks:

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by RJ; 09-21-2015 at 07:54 AM.

I recall la forum that had good guidelines. I'll see if I can find them.

Personally, the thing that I find most important is the writer's previous experience, both professional (are you a cop, soldier, none of the above?) and private (prior training, competition shooting experience, etc). Putting the review in context is extremely helpful.

And, of course, anything given for free should be disclosed, as should any other details that may affect one's perception.

Check the last AAR I did for an F2S class...might give you pointers or content ques.
    http://www.vdmsr.com/2015/03/aar-dua...g-feb.html?m=1
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    My recommendation would just be to read the AARs and pick out what you think is useful information. Most people that have written them have written several, so find a writer you like, and use them as a template.

Don't post pictures unless you received permission from the people in the photo. And definitely don't mention the names of secret squirrels that come through the class, as they'll pop up every now and then.

Otherwise, good on you for taking the time to share your experiences with the community.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

This one is pretty much the gold standard.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ght=hackathorn

Also, a lot of instructors teach the same POI over and over. Look for the things that earlier writers have overlooked so you're not just repeating what other people have written.

Okie John

Things I am interested in knowing, in no particular order. Relevant: I evaluate and/or host public safety training product and instructors so my needs may be a little different.

reviewer info - creds, previous training experience, context of their interest
    quality of customer service and communications with scheduler/instructor
    information lead time - each piece
    training facility information and amenities, directions, particular benefits and problems
    training host/site staff conduct, professionalism
    availability of other support (food, retail, lodging)
    students in the class, general make-up
    student:instructor ratio
    packing list accuracy, required, recommended, optional - were items actually used?
    same, especially for ammo or any specialty items (shields, gas masks, helmets/tac gear, etc) if applicable
    instructor conduct and professionalism
    instructor teaching ability
    instructor ability to perform instructed task - demos?
    instructor hand-outs, curriculum / course outline or reference information
    instructor time management
    organization of task/material/POIs
    summary of class activities through TDs and course objectives, not a play-by-play
    in the event of extra class time or opportunities, how utilized
    if time or task shortage, how managed to still meet objectives
    high and low points for the class, major take-aways
    high and low points for the students
    things that distinguish this instructor and course from others offering same topic
    end of course performance standard administered, reviewer's performance, class performance if available
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I want to know what worked for you and when learning occurred.

Obviously this AAR is the gold standard
    #RESIST

Remember the other golden rule -- if you can't say something positive, don't say anything at all.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

What is the purpose of the AAR for the writer? This will dictate what the AAR looks like. Many seem to write it as a simple review of the class; I personally write them so that I can go back and see if there was anything I forgot, so I can go back and review what issues I had, what tidbits I might have forgotten. This makes my AARs exceedingly long-winded compared to most others, and thus does not properly fulfill the "summarize" part that many people prefer in AARs, as I don't do a BLUF or TL;DR, but since I'm writing them primarily for myself, and not others, I'm okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    This one is pretty much the gold standard.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ght=hackathorn

Also, a lot of instructors teach the same POI over and over. Look for the things that earlier writers have overlooked so you're not just repeating what other people have written.

Okie John
    Ironic choice, given the amount of drama caused by that particular AAR.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Remember the other golden rule -- if you can't say something positive, don't say anything at all.
    This statement is why I don't think the AARs posted on public forums are as useful as people make them out to be, since a negative AAR posted on a public forum is an exceedingly rare thing. Hell, even AARs that are merely luke-warm in their praise aren't easy to find, for multiple reasons... and I suspect that some of those reasons are less-than-savory. I've personally been asked more than once to alter AARs on purely publicity grounds, and I've also witnessed first hand a close friend of mine being burned by a less-than-enthusiastic (but still overall fairly positive) AAR of a class taught by a popular, top-tier instructor, who took the criticism in the AAR poorly. It's just the way of the industry, I guess.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 09-21-2015 at 10:42 AM.

User Tag List