Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PUC for Beginners

Cool, thanks!

PUC for Beginners

irishshooter,

I think Southnarc really hit it on the head with his recommendation to look for a MMA gym. The fact that at some point you will be rolling (grappling) or sparring with someone else who is trying to best you, will give you great feed back on how the training you are receiving is working.

If there is one thing I have learned it this: make your worst day in the gym, good enough to overcome on the street. So wherever you end up, make sure you find some like minded people to train with, and train hard.

One last thought. I agree with the fellas who said a BJJ is another good option. However if you do end up looking at these schools, be careful to not pick one that is more worried about their next upcoming match, than you safety on the street.

Hope this help a little bit.

LJ

For quick results I suggest Krav Maga if you can find someone who actually knows how to teach it. It was designed to bring the average person up to a good level fairly quickly. That is also its limitation, however. It will not give you the skills and expertise that years of cross-discipline MMA-type training will. We used to offer it as a quick-learn for executives and such going into not-so-friendly places and it put them a few notches above the typical street fighter, but nowhere near the level of the highly trained fighter.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Paul Sharp, Mike Brown, Chris Fry, Chris Leblanc, Ryan Mayfield, Phil Whitfield, Don Gula, and me. Whitfield is in the UK and I've never met Gula but heard good things from guys I trust. The other five I talk to on a weekly basis.

I see Phil Whitfield a couple of times a year here, in the UK or in Europe.
    Is this Chris Fry with M.D.T.S.?

I see there are a few classes from them in SW PA. They have a knife class in March. I may have to hit that one.

That would be him!

SouthNarc's ECQC class is on my short list of classes to take this year

While you are searching out your mma gym, I'd highly recommend getting a heart rate monitor and get some baseline numbers for resting heart rate and a training log. Then if your resting heart rate is not in the 50's, start on L. Lindenman's lower your resting heart rate program on TPI.

But you need to keep in mine MMA fighter fight to win and have rules to go by on the street you fight to stay alive with no rules. With out a gun or knife you have 9 weapons on you (not counting the most important weapon your brain) you have your feet, knees, hands, elbow, and your forehead just keep that in mine when you train at a mma gym also learn the so call dirty trick and used them in a CQB

Yeah it seemed like the idea Southnarc preposed was to train, and then have it tuned to self-defense, by cross training with specific types of programs

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    For quick results I suggest Krav Maga if you can find someone who actually knows how to teach it. It was designed to bring the average person up to a good level fairly quickly. That is also its limitation, however. It will not give you the skills and expertise that years of cross-discipline MMA-type training will. We used to offer it as a quick-learn for executives and such going into not-so-friendly places and it put them a few notches above the typical street fighter, but nowhere near the level of the highly trained fighter.
    By no means do I claim to be an expert on hand to hand, and highly value your guys opinion on this. But I found krav maga a great asset. I did BJJ and did not like it because the focus was to get the individual on the ground and then own him. Well I don't want to be on the ground. I might own him, but not his buddy with a pipe sneaking up behind me. I started krav and found it very quick to learn. Very effective and devestating. And most important to me, I could easily remember what to do during the sparring sessions. In BJJ, I was always getting confused about what to do in certain positions because it was very positional based. In krav, it was one move to defeat this, then 2-3 strikes and your ready for the next guy. It was also a good carduo workout in the class. Im over simplifing it, but that was the just. We also did knife and gun fights in every class.

User Tag List