Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IDPA Matches in the Snow?

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    You've never shot any of our cold matches at CCFSA?
    Yes, that's how I know...........
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 09-21-2015 at 07:47 PM.

I saw a picture of what looked like a practical rifle shoot in the winter in Finland perhaps? The rifle in the pic was a Sako M92 or 95 in 5.56. I think it was on the old Valmet-weapons site. The type shoot seemed strangely intriguing. I believe they would go slogging (skiing?) about in the snow in full winter clothes/cold weather gear to various spread out shooting stations.
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-21-2015 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I saw a picture of what looked like a practical rifle shoot in the winter in Finland perhaps? The rifle in the pic was a Sako M92 or 95 in 5.56. I think it was on the old Valmet-weapons site. The type shoot seemed strangely intriguing. I believe they would go slogging (skiing?) about in the snow in full winter clothes/cold weather gear to various spread out shooting stations.
    Biathlon?

Quote Originally Posted by WIILSHOOT View Post
    Biathlon?

No, nothing that formal or structured, it was with service rifles, a practical field shoot. I think they were shooting at people silhouettes. Sako M92/95 in 5.56 I believe. I've tried finding the picture again but havent found it.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    No, nothing that formal or structured, it was with service rifles, a practical field shoot. I think they were shooting at people silhouettes. Sako M92/95 in 5.56 I believe. I've tried finding the picture again but havent found it.
    That's where modern biathlon comes from

Same with pentathlon (riding, running, swimming, fencing, pistol shooting)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    That's where modern biathlon comes from

Same with pentathlon (riding, running, swimming, fencing, pistol shooting)
    Yes, I understand, but they use specialized target rifles for biathlon.

Annapolis runs year-round, but you would be surprised how muddy the bays get even when it's pretty cold with snow on the ground. Just the tramping around can turn it to soup. A lot of times they'll run, but modify it to a "steel IDPA" outlaw match so people don't have to run back and forth pasting.

You're correct about PNTC, that steep hill is pretty wiped out in snow. They also have an issue when it's really cold with the gravel berms freezing so hard they ricochet.

I've heard about winter M1 Garand matches in the Lower Peninsula of Michigan.
    Possibly in Port Huron or on the Western side somewhere.

Used to shoot a winter/early spring pistol match some years ago. Done in a club parking lot with the whole
    winter's piled up snow for a backstop. It wasn't too bad since I didn't attend when it was real cold, or
    blizzarding.

Now, after deer season, I usually just go into hibernation till Spring.

We have a USPSA match every New Years Day in Hampden, Maine, ' The Frozen Chosen'. A few years ago it was -20F, with wind gusts to ~40 mph. You just come back for brass in the spring, because it freezes into the ice shortly after landing.

There isn't much else to do here.
    Hope and change again? Really?

User Tag List