Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Each point down will now equal 1 second added to your time...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am not patient enough to do the math tonight, but as I recall, despite IDPA's reputation for prioritizing accuracy, the scoring for a miss, depending upon hit factor of the exact USPSA stage, was less punitive than a miss with IDPA scoring than USPSA scoring.
    Current IDPA scoring has a HF of 2, which is lower than any USPSA stage I've shot. The proposed change would drop this to a HF of 1. A miss can be a more severe penalty in USPSA, but it would have to be a low hit factor stage.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Current IDPA scoring has a HF of 2, which is lower than any USPSA stage I've shot. The proposed change would drop this to a HF of 1. A miss can be a more severe penalty in USPSA, but it would have to be a low hit factor stage.
    Check this math. With a 4 HF USPSA stage, each point down is 1 divided by 4 or .25 second, making a C in Production or minor worth down .50? With a 4 HF stage, a miss costs the Production shooter 15 points, or the equivalent of 3 seconds?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

You're already fairly well damaged for down points compared to the USPSA I've shot, this frankly doesn't make any sense unless they want to continue with the foolish "this is tactical training" angle.

Of all the stupid things in IDPA that need to change, this is not one of them and their time is better spent elsewhere. They're making it really difficult to want to stay a member, and considering the issues people from the bottom all the way to the top have with the sport I'm having a damned hard time figuring out why it's popular in my area. Must be they don't know any better.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I recall this being a thing that a significant number of the founders wanted from jump street. They could accomplish the same thing by making the scoring zones smaller (and the whole target smaller, would be OK with me), but that would conflict with keeping the sport accessible to new shooters. Getting a high time is one thing, missing the target is another, I would think.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Check this math. With a 4 HF USPSA stage, each point down is 1 divided by 4 or .25 second, making a C in Production or minor worth down .50? With a 4 HF stage, a miss costs the Production shooter 15 points, or the equivalent of 3 seconds?
    It's still a HF of 2 for IDPA scoring, minor just loses two points for a similar area of the target as a down -1. I consider 4 to be a low hit factor stage, so I don't dispute your math, as I think it confirms my point that a miss is only worth more in USPSA on low hit factor stages. On the affect of a miss in USPSA, it's only 15 points if you assume an "A" hit. Often, at least for me, misses happen where I was already accepting a C/D hit due to target difficulty (partial, mover, etc.), so the miss is really worth between 11-15 points, not exactly 15 points.

First, this is not a done deal. There is no date set and IDPA is in no mood to make any significant changes to the rulebook in the next year or two. They need to stabilize the sport from the 2015 Rule changes. Secondly, it's not a bad idea to get people to shoot more accurately. I will never forget I got beat at the Shoothouse Shootout 2 years ago by a guy who had over 90 points down and a few non-threats to boot, but was fast as hell. I was like 30 points and no non-threats. The point I am making is that it's not a bad idea to slow things down a bit and encourage more accuracy.

But, I am not a strong advocate for the change. I would rather see allowance for more non-threats in a stage, more movement allowed, different targets, simplification of the equipment rules and replacing the CCP division with an optics division. But just my personal opinion and I am but one voice.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I will never forget I got beat at the Shoothouse Shootout 2 years ago by a guy who had over 90 points down and a few non-threats to boot, but was fast as hell. I was like 30 points and no non-threats. The point I am making is that it's not a bad idea to slow things down a bit and encourage more accuracy.
    Just perpetuates the impression that IDPA is for slow, fat guys and will drive younger shooters to USPSA and 3 gun; thanks!

By the by, speed IS a tactic.

I would rather see allowance for more non-threats in a stage, more movement allowed, different targets, simplification of the equipment rules and replacing the CCP division with an optics division.
    Sounds like USPSA

But, I am not a strong advocate for the change. I would rather see allowance for more non-threats in a stage, more movement allowed, different targets, simplification of the equipment rules and replacing the CCP division with an optics division. But just my personal opinion and I am but one voice.
    Cody
    Why not advocate more realistic carry gear being allowed, even if not aiwb.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Just perpetuates the impression that IDPA is for slow, fat guys and will drive younger shooters to USPSA and 3 gun; thanks!
    By the by, speed IS a tactic.
    Speed is not the only tactic, accuracy counts, especially in the self-defense world...

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Sounds like USPSA
    Let's not start another thread debating IDPA and USPSA. They are both valuable shooting sports that help shooters develop necessary skills. IDPA's strength is use of cover and no shooting boxes and use of standard handguns. IDPA, being a self-defense oriented sport should be slower, fat guys or not...BTW, we have a lot of younger shooters and most people shooting IDPA are NOT fat. Try to get your facts right.
    USPSA allows for more speed and more creative shooting...good on ya!
    We are both supporting gun rights, building pistol handling and shooting skills, and supporting the industry.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Why not advocate more realistic carry gear being allowed, even if not aiwb.
    Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    From an administrative POV, I want to simplify the rules on equipment. If I could change it, it would be this: For a given Division, if it fits the box and makes weight, and the safeties have not been disabled, you can shoot it. The rules are complicated enough without a whole bunch of other rules on equipment.
    Cody

User Tag List