Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Each point down will now equal 1 second added to your time...

Quote Originally Posted by markp View Post
    Warren Tactical practice target
    Attachment 3996
    The white of the paper tends to conflict with the white of the non-threats.

Bonus threat identification practice
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Apology in advance for the thread drift. We use the Warren targets for practice but last time I ordered them, both vendors we use only had limited stock and when I went to reorder last month, neither has them on their web stores?

try these guys
    http://www.targetbarn.com/catalogsea...ctical+targets
    Last edited by markp; 10-08-2015 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Changing a major aspect of the sport 20 years after it has been accepted.
    IDPA is the NASCAR of the shooting sports. Re-inventing the wheel every few years and failing miserably every time.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Speed is not the only tactic, accuracy counts, especially in the self-defense world...

Cody
    What if your opponent draws and shoots first and is just as accurate as you are? YOU are DEAD!

Quote Originally Posted by Co Th G View Post
    What if your opponent draws and shoots first and is just as accurate as you are? YOU are DEAD!
    First off, you're describing a classic Western movie "gunfight." An event that is an utter fabrication and maybe happened twice in real life.

In the real world, people don't die because they can't find the gas pedal.

Most people die because they can't believe what is unfolding in front of them and don't get on the gas or brake. They freeze and watch someone murder them.

The second most common reason people die in the real world is because they used too much gas and not enough brake. The person who can keep themselves under emotional control and use enough brakes to guarantee a hit will almost always win.

The amount of people who die because they weren't fast enough are almost non-existent. When people fail for "lack of speed" it's really a failure to recognize what's happening and drawing earlier. The only time raw "burn 'em down" speed would matter is when drawing on a gun already pointed at you.

There are many other benefits that come with being fast, we just rarely benefit from fast by itself.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by Co Th G View Post
    And, if you miss the shot you are dead. Both matter, but in self-defense accuracy matters more. Who cares if you got two C's in USPSA on a target as long as your Hit Factor was 8. This illustrates my point.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    First off, you're describing a classic Western movie "gunfight." An event that is an utter fabrication and maybe happened twice in real life.

In the real world, people don't die because they can't find the gas pedal.

Most people die because they can't believe what is unfolding in front of them and don't get on the gas or brake. They freeze and watch someone murder them.

The second most common reason people die in the real world is because they used too much gas and not enough brake. The person who can keep themselves under emotional control and use enough brakes to guarantee a hit will almost always win.

The amount of people who die because they weren't fast enough are almost non-existent. When people fail for "lack of speed" it's really a failure to recognize what's happening and drawing earlier. The only time raw "burn 'em down" speed would matter is when drawing on a gun already pointed at you.

There are many other benefits that come with being fast, we just rarely benefit from fast by itself.
    John,
    Thanks for this:
    The person who can keep themselves under emotional control and use enough brakes to guarantee a hit will almost always win.

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    And, if you miss the shot you are dead. Both matter, but in self-defense accuracy matters more. Who cares if you got two C's in USPSA on a target as long as your Hit Factor was 8. This illustrates my point.
    Cody
    You are wrong. If I draw/shoot faster than you and accurate enough, you are dead.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by cclaxton viewpost-right.png
    I will never forget I got beat at the Shoothouse Shootout 2 years ago by a guy who had over 90 points down and a few non-threats to boot, but was fast as hell. I was like 30 points and no non-threats. The point I am making is that it's not a bad idea to slow things down a bit and encourage more accuracy.
    let me take a swag at the maths:

90 - 30 = 60 points down = 30 seconds of penalty (old rules)
    "A few" Non-threats at 5 seconds each >= 15 seconds
    A quick google shows me that the 2013 shoothouse shootout was 12 stages
    45 seconds / 12 stages = 3.75 seconds/stage

So Cody is pissed that he got beat by some guy who ON AVERAGE was almost 4 seconds faster a stage, 12 stages in a row. Mind you, unlike USPSA, IDPA has max 18 round stages.

High SSP at the 2013 Shootout was about 240 secs / 12 stages = about 20s per stage.

3.75 seconds / 240 seconds is basically 15% faster per stage relative to 1st master SSP.
    45 seconds in accuracy penalties / Cody's 384 seconds total is abut 12% less accurate overall.

So the guy that beat Cody made a good call on speed vs accuracy, yet should have shot a little more acurately - and had 45 SECONDS available to do so.

Digging further, let's assume this is discussing the 2013 Shootout results: http://www.idpa.com/...ondetails/13602

Poor Arthur (Cody) Claxton (5th SSP Shartshooter) was never in the game to win his class (90 seconds off the pace), much less the SSP division (140 seconds off the pace).

Cody: But, but, but....ITS NOT FAIR!!!! We need to do something to slow those fast/sloppy guys down!!!

User Tag List