Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast

Thread: Each point down will now equal 1 second added to your time...

Why does IDPA limit revolvers to 4" when you can have a 5"+ bottom feeder?
    Last edited by Co Th G; 10-19-2015 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think this is the crux of the issue for many in this thread. Many folks don't believe it accurately simulates a life-threatening encounter.

I think a fair statement would be IDPA is a shooting game, sometimes using handguns that are more practically oriented (and sometimes not) and wearing an outfit that looks more Timmie than is typically seen at a USPSA match.
    Well, "accurately simulate" is an oxymoron, isn't it? I have seen many an operator challenged by my defense stages. I have seen many a novice go from barely being safe to being proficient with a pistol, able to resolve malfunctions quickly, able to negotiate cover properly, engage targets in tactical priority, and negotiate complex stages. These all are building mental and shooting skills, some of which can actually help a person in a life-threatening situation. Can they go the next step and take concealed carry tactical courses and shoot/no-shoot courses, and simmunitions FOF, etc, etc. Many do, AND they come back to IDPA matches to practice and compete. I don't agree they are worthless because I have seen the changes in them and in myself.

MANY people disagree on the appropriate tactical response to a given situation. I have heard at least 5 different opinions about the 3yd/5yd target engagements. Who is right? I have seen MANY operators endorse IDPA for concealed carry and self-defense practice. Who is right? I am going with my direct experience in observing others and myself develop their proficiencies. Does that make them ready to go into combat or join SWAT?....No. But they are way better off than if they didn't do IDPA or shot USPSA and never practiced use of cover or tactical priority IMHO.

IDPA provides *some* value for self-defense....and I agree it is arguable to what degree. What I am going to do is make sure that I design stages and host matches that are closer to simulating realistic targets and scenarios, than not. If I don't then it does just become USPSA with cover and cheaper guns. I won't let that happen. Other long-time MD's don't want that to happen either.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by Co Th G View Post
    Funny, haven't heard that, and I would expect to be the first one to hear it.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Cody
    Was in the rule book prior to the latest changes. I don't recall it getting changed.

Well, "accurately simulate" is an oxymoron, isn't it? I have seen many an operator challenged by my defense stages.
    What does it tell you if they were challenged by your stages? That your stages are super tactical and DEVGRU should bring you on?

I have seen many a novice go from barely being safe to being proficient with a pistol, able to resolve malfunctions quickly,
    To be fair this happens when they watch too many Magpul videos on YouTube too.

able to negotiate cover properly
    No, no, no! To negotiate cover according to some game, yes, but not properly.

engage targets in tactical priority
    This is because the rules force them. You treat this as a benefit.

and negotiate complex stages.
    Sure. Complex shooting problems are great because they force thinking to occur in addition to shooting.

These all are building mental and shooting skills, some of which can actually help a person in a life-threatening situation.
    Yup, they help build mental bandwidth. Any more than that would be a stretch.

Can they go the next step and take concealed carry tactical courses and shoot/no-shoot courses, and simmunitions FOF, etc, etc. Many do, AND they come back to IDPA matches to practice and compete. I don't agree they are worthless because I have seen the changes in them and in myself.
    And that is good. IDPA is a great way to solve someone else's shooting problem rather than picking from a list of your favorite drills.

What classes has IDPA driven you to take?

MANY people disagree on the appropriate tactical response to a given situation. I have heard at least 5 different opinions about the 3yd/5yd target engagements. Who is right?
    To be fair you also kept moving the goalpost and changing the rules as well as ruled out the most viable solution.

I have seen MANY operators endorse IDPA for concealed carry and self-defense practice. Who is right?
    Those same people say IDPA, and games, have their limits. You're taking their positive words and running away with them.

. Does that make them ready to go into combat or join SWAT?....No. But they are way better off than if they didn't do IDPA or shot USPSA and never practiced imaginary use of cover or the made up rule known as tactical priority IMHO.
    Had to add some qualifiers here. You seem to go on and on with those two things like they fucking matter.

IDPA provides *some* value for self-defense....and I agree it is arguable to what degree.
    Yup. I think all but one poster on this forum would agree and even then he'd still begrudgingly say yes to that too. You're the only one treating it like a workup.

What I am going to do is make sure that I design stages and host matches that are closer to simulating realistic targets and scenarios, than not.
    That's fine and that's fun, still not reality, still a game, still have major limitations on the benefits.

If I don't then it does just become USPSA with cover and cheaper guns. I won't let that happen. Other long-time MD's don't want that to happen either.
    What's wrong with that? Neither represent reality.

Cody
    Why in the hell do you keep doing this?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Co Th G View Post
    5" revolvers were legal until the green book, IIRC, and the logical theory is that revolver barrels are measured from the front of the cylinder, i.e not including the chamber to the muzzle, and auto barrels are measured from the rear of the chamber to the muzzle.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Cody
    So, you don't know IDPA rules regarding barrel lengths in various divisions? I think the Earth just stopped rotating.

Can't we all just get along. Idpa sucks, we all know that. I don't think we should fault a man (Cody) for believing in his sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Can't we all just get along. Idpa sucks, we all know that. I don't think we should fault a man (Cody) for believing in his sport.
    It's not that he believes in IDPA, it's the way he slurps Joyce and his overzealous stance that IDPA is tactical training that turns people negative to him and to IDPA.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    It doesn't suck. Not even close. The issue I have is that we have one delusional person creating that impression over and over again, and bunch of our people that have limited to no experience that co to use to think that one person is representative of anything.

User Tag List