Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Each point down will now equal 1 second added to your time...

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    My understanding of what Paul had to say is this:

Setup in such a way that when you step out you have your normal firing platform to give you as much chance of making the hit as possible. You are definitely giving up more of yourself to keep your normal platform but Paul's take is that you simply step back into cover if you don't have the advantage.

Paul's standard is essentially the IPSC A zone and nothing else - even at 25 yards. Most folks don't shoot as well when the contorted to maximize cover use so Paul's take is don't contort. Much more of a stand and deliver when you can approach.
    Much appreciated, thanks!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Honestly they may go slower but it won't improve their accuracy, since it's a fundamentals issue and not a "too fast" issue.

They're already shooting based on their abilities to execute the fundamentals. They already think it's a down zero shot. What I'm thinking is that people who are already willing to shoot now won't be any less willing to shoot then. Their feedback tells them to press the trigger.

My understanding of what Paul had to say is this:

Setup in such a way that when you step out you have your normal firing platform to give you as much chance of making the hit as possible. You are definitely giving up more of yourself to keep your normal platform but Paul's take is that you simply step back into cover if you don't have the advantage.

Paul's standard is essentially the IPSC A zone and nothing else - even at 25 yards. Most folks don't shoot as well when the contorted to maximize cover use so Paul's take is don't contort. Much more of a stand and deliver when you can approach.
    Bullets are cover too.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Bullets are cover too.
    Unfortunately they move around a lot and they're kinda small and hard to hide behind.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

If everyone is so upset by changing the penalty from 0.5 per point, we could always relabel the target zones -0, -2, and -6. Alternatively, we could simple require two rounds in the -0 and call anything else a failure to neutralize - while using t-shirts to cover up the hits.

Personally, I would love to see -0 shrunk to a 6" circle that starts at the top of the current -0 circle. The current -0 is a bit too low for my preferences.

The biggest effect of the proposed change is to really harsh the mellow of the Walter Mitties who want to run through a stage as fast as possible while looking cool but without the skill to hit anything while doing so. The extra penalties will hurt them the most
    Good job in convincing me to never renew my expired IDPA membership

I realized I was being too critical of IDPA's effort to bring this game closer to real life. I will support a new 1 sec penalty rule.

As soon as IDPA sets up a minimal trigger pull weight threshold that's consistent with real life carry and duty trigger weights.
    Oops.

A friend of mine who is an IDPA Master shooter and professional working in the industry read through this thread. He asked me to post this.
    Cody,
    I've been reading through the 38 page thread on the pistol forum site on the 1s scoring. A few things came to mind. I wouldn't personally consider idpa training per se, but it certainly does encourage principles which may be useful to you in a deadly force confrontation. Whether said principles apply in a specific situation can be determined by the shooter, IF he is proficient enough to make that decision and execute those skills properly. Speaking from someone who has been in gunfights I can tell you that the basic idpa principles are sound. Discretion of when and where to use those in the execution phase is the challenging part. We look at all the things stress does to our bodies during a potentially life ending altercation - will idpa save your ass? Not completely. Not even mostly. But if you work, train, and develop/ maintain proficiency, it can certainly be a part of your base survival. And sometimes all you need is a slightly bigger base than your opponent to survive.
    Look at all the other bullshit in this thread - cover is not really cover (material wise), concealment is being gamed, we have no elected officials, they can cry about the details all they want. These ass hats can continue their rants and nay saying until their mom's kick them out of the basement because the laundry isn't going to do itself. Bottom line is yes, these are all games. But you've got people learning the mechanics of shooting (if only by watching and asking questions), you have repetitive gun handling, and you have promotion of shooting sports. There's no expectation you'll shoot idpa and instantly get accepted into your local SWAT team. But I'd rather be out performing a difficult task under pressure then spending my time whining on the Internet about how life isn't fair, or how people won't renew their idpa memberships. Please don't. If it were up to me your already be banned for being a douche.
    Cody, Thanks for maintaining some semblance of professionalism and sticking up for your points.
    -Turd Furgeson
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Oh dear! I guess we have no legitimate complaints, not even the not being able to participate one. What a bunch of dicks we are!

Lololololol
    Lord of the Food Court

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    A friend of mine who is an IDPA Master shooter and professional working in the industry read through this thread. He asked me to post this.
    Am I incorrect in thinking he is somewhat in line with what everyone else is saying, take the game for what it's worth and it's not the end all be all? Were any specific thoughts added concerning your thoughts that IDPA is good for practicing use of cover?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Oh dear! I guess we have no legitimate complaints, not even the not being able to participate one. What a bunch of dicks we are!

Lololololol
    More precisely, per Turd, ass hats living in their moms' basements.

If that post was an attempt to call in close air support, it appears the ordinance missed the target.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    More precisely, per Turd, ass hats living in their moms' basements.
    Hey! Some of us are in training to be printer repairmen.
    Lord of the Food Court

User Tag List