Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where do you do your holster work?

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I am a volunteer ranger officer at a local range. If I serve 45 hours per year, basically 4 hours a month, to keep the public range running then I get keys to the place. We have 10 bays to choose from.
    That sounds like a sweet deal. How convenient is it when you can get the keys to the place?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    That sounds like a sweet deal. How convenient is it when you can get the keys to the place?
    I'm not certain what you are asking about convenience. The range is about 30 minutes from my front door, I get up there 3-4 times a month all year around, and never have had an issue getting an empty bay or sharing with another RO. I can shoot from 9-dusk any day of the week and if I keep my hours up, it doesn't cost me a dime.

We have over 100 volunteer range officers who help keep things running...a public 100 yard outdoor range, IDPA, USPSA, bowling pin, silhouette, and steel plate matches. The range is open to the public on the weekends, including Fridays, and usually one weeknight during the summer. We don't allow drawing from the holster on the public range and are not about to start letting that happen. If you are serious enough about your shooting then you become an RO or buddy up with someone who is...YVK for instance.

At that point you can do about anything you want, safely of course.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I'm not certain what you are asking about convenience. The range is about 30 minutes from my front door, I get up there 3-4 times a month all year around, and never have had an issue getting an empty bay or sharing with another RO.
    That's kinda what I was asking re convenience, like how easily can you get a bay when you want one.

I'm lucky in that I am a member in two small clubs, the combined annual dues are less than $100. I hardly ever need to wait for a bay, and I can do anything I want short of shooting rifles in the bay and launching one over the berm.

If you're in/near Chicago, Pine Tree Pistol Club (Rockford), Alpha Range (McHenry), and On Target (Crystal Lake) will let you draw from a holster once you're vetted...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WIILSHOOT View Post
    If you're in/near Chicago, Pine Tree Pistol Club (Rockford), Alpha Range (McHenry), and On Target (Crystal Lake) will let you draw from a holster once you're vetted...
    For me, this is good to hear.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Tha Streetz

Seriously though, 90% dry fire but I also have a key to my PD range that is 5min from home and can go whenever I want.

Quote Originally Posted by johncorey View Post
    Reading this thread just made me super appreciative of the gun ranges I've been a member of. Sorry to hear about these struggles.
    THIS. I've never shot at a range that did not allow drawing from holster or rapid fire, and so I feel quite fortunate about my local selection of practice venues.

Site Supporter
    I am blessed to be a member of a private rifle-pistol-shotgun range in rural North GA that has USPSA/IDPA/Steel Challenge type bays with steel targets and plate racks. Grown daughter is visiting from South GA and we just got back from her practice session with her pistol and some fun time with a 9mm AR.

I've never been to a range in any of the states I've lived in that allow drawing from a holster or rapid fire.

I do dry draws at home and rapid fire on the range, regardless.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Site Supporter
    One public range near me is considering allowing it.

I just can't WAIT for all the guys to bring in their crossdraw holsters, horizontal shoulder rigs and small of back holsters to come practice with their Taurus .40 calibers loaded up with G2 RIP ammo.

At least if they accidentally shoot me I will likely survive.

A few public ranges allow it, but those are a few hours from me so the cost of gas is not worth it. I do my holster work at home during dry fire, I do my rapid fire in weekly skills and drills workouts that a group of competitive shooters run by a training outfit near me puts on. They accept only vetted shooters with holster experience. We actually sent one shooter home yesterday because even though he stated that he had received holster training at Front Sight it was not very safe.

My opinion of Front Sight has declined with every alum of theirs I've seen on the range.

Otherwise, I do a lot of SHO/WHO and 25 yard shooting at the indoor ranges near my house.
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 10-28-2015 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Had a stupid. Better now.

User Tag List