Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you do your holster work?

Where do you do your holster work?

The Pfestivus discussion about the Drill of the Weeks requiring some range freedom got me wondering, where does most of the membership do their holster work?

Dry fire at home?
    Competition?
    Or do you have access to a range that lets you do more than slow fire bullseye work?

Whatever the answer is, how do you feel it's helped or hindered your growth as a shooter?

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on this. In the past year, I've taken about half a second off of my average draw time and I'm getting more consistent hits. This was also the first year I was a member at a range that I could practice live fire, however, I also bought a house last fall that is a fixer upper. That range was about an hour away, so I only went 6 times in the year I was a member. I think I made a lot of my gains truthfully from dry fire.

It's renewal time for me now and I'm not sure where I come down on this.

All three. The bulk of my dedicated holster practice is done in dry fire, at home. I compete almost every week, and I'm a member at both indoor and outdoor ranges that allow drawing from the holster. My biggest and fastest gains have always come during periods in which I consistently combine all three - dryfire daily, live practice twice a week, and match on the weekend.

In my opinion, dry practice is absolutely crucial to developing gunhandling skills, especially for new or beginning shooters. But it's not a substitute for live fire practice. Unless it's extremely expensive, I would maintain your range membership.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I'm LEO and our range is usually open shoot on Fridays. I can run steel bays, use the 50y range, use the 85y range, work around cars, etc.

I also do dry fire at home.

I have rural property that's about an hour's drive away, and sometimes go there to practice as well.

Majority of my dry fire is at home and at training classes while doing combatives and/or tactic based CQ.

I run my standard once every two or so weeks just to make sure I am on the right track, if I see some aspect dropping down with live fire, I make sure to target that specific area during dry fire.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

95% of my holster work is done at home in dry fire (as is most of my practice).

In about 3 years of (seeking) being a true student of the pistol, I have yet to be a member of a real range that lets me truly practice/train. BUT I just became a member of a club/range that should change this, although for now my access is limited to weekends during matches, but I will have access to bays where I can do my own practice/drills - CAN'T WAIT!. Supposedly I will eventually have free access.

I have been shooting matches (uspsa or steel) about once a month and believe this, focusing on specifics, getting serious with the timer in my practice and training for the things I need/use in competition have led to the biggest improvements so far - probably not in that order though. I am still very young in my journey though.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Since I try to dry fire daily oat of my work is in dry fire. I try and live fire as much as possible but it seems when I have time I have no ammo money and when I have ammo money I have no time. I can shoot in my back yard but due to other house placements and I rent and don't want to go clearing woods, my backyard shooting isn't very fun. Covered with trees so it stays dark, downward skip no matter where you are, and with a lake being nearby lots of skeeters. I have two buddies with BEAUTIFULLY places to shoot what ever you want but don't get to go as often as I'd like. So most live fire is at a match or training class.

My basement for small targets through clutter, my living room-kitchen for longer distance stuff, my car, and my computer room.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    where does most of the membership do their holster work?

Dry fire at home?
    Competition?
    Or do you have access to a range that lets you do more than slow fire bullseye work?
    Dry fire at home and membership in two local clubs where I can setup and shoot with very few restrictions

When I go to a competition I go there to do just that, not to train or practice, so the frame of mind is different. The exception is a local Monday night league where sometimes i will try different things just to see how they work under pressure, but those aren't scores that count for much.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 09-20-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Reading this thread just made me super appreciative of the gun ranges I've been a member of. Sorry to hear about these struggles.
    You don't gotta love it. You just gotta do it.

I am a volunteer ranger officer at a local range. If I serve 45 hours per year, basically 4 hours a month, to keep the public range running then I get keys to the place. We have 10 bays to choose from.

I also shoot the occasional match.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List