Thread: Too many magazines of mixed types.

Site Supporter

Too many magazines of mixed types.

At the local match, a participant was wearing a rig on his belt that had two AR mags close to his body and then his handgun mags on the outside. Whether that is a legal IDPA rig is irrelevant as it was a fun match and people try out various things. He probably wears it at our carbine matches where we shoot both long guns and handguns in mixed stages.

Anyway, on the reload, the participant reaches down and comes up with the AR mag. Well, that isn't going into the handgun, so he tries to reinsert it and bobbles that. Finally, get the handgun mag while the AR mag is kind of hooked behind the other mags.

Seems not a good rig - do you think?

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    It reminds me of this thread about a mag pouch / light carrier combo. I was in the market for a combo carrier, until I read the responses there. The scenario you've just described has left me pretty hesitant on layering pistol mags over rifle mags, despite how convenient that would be initially.

I'd love to hear others' thoughts on the issue.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I see quite a few of those style rigs on folks who are pretty new to 3-gun.

I understand the idea behind them - smaller footprint on the belt, you're reaching to roughly the same spot for your pistol and carbine reloads, etc., but I think that the potential drawbacks outweigh the benefits.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

No photos?

Needs more practice.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Sounds like he needs one of these

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    It reminds me of this thread about a mag pouch / light carrier combo. I was in the market for a combo carrier, until I read the responses there. The scenario you've just described has left me pretty hesitant on layering pistol mags over rifle mags, despite how convenient that would be initially.

I'd love to hear others' thoughts on the issue.
    I used to carry a spare mag at 11 o'clock. I stopped doing that around April or May of 14. I started carrying a Clinch pick vertically there.

So at a local fun IDPA match I started just throwing extra mags in my pockets. On slide lock I indexed the CP, however my mind knew that that was not a Glock mag, and proceeded to go to the pocket.

I think it just comes down to training and getting used to your equipment.
    Last edited by Trajan; 09-20-2015 at 05:13 PM.

Glem FWIW. I've seen cell phones and Buck knives do an excellent imitation of a handgun magazine before....

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Sounds like he needs one of these

I have one of these. I sleep with a pistol under my pillow and usually keep it in one of these and keep a flash light in the mag pouch, with the strap kinda sideways so I don't have to unvelcro the light. Here lately I've just been using my normal IWB holster though. Both work quite good for tactical pillow weapons.

User Tag List