Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Week 130: Your Best Group

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    I struggle at 25yds, don't know if it's my eyes, my sights, or what but I struggle. I intended to shoot this drill 8 times and see if I improved or degraded. My first 2 attempts result in scores in the low 20s, on my third string I noticed that my eyes were kind of like an automatically focusing camera that can't decide what to focus on. My eyes would hard focus on the target then front sight, and back and forth. I then realized my fifth string that focusing on my front sight worked as I had a 44pts group with an X! I continued and shot another 44pts group on my seventh string. On my last string I shot the pictured group, circled holes. 32pts measuring 3-1/2". I had forgotten my tape measure so I used some paster tape, marked it and measured it when I got home. That one flyer off the paper is disappointing but the group was my best so I'll take it!
    Thank you for posting your results; I know these threads aren't really competitions, but it's still somewhat comforting to see that I'm not the only one who isn't laser-beam accurate at long range with a < 1 second draw, etc. Kind of a "I'm not the only one who isn't awesome all of the time, so maybe it is worthwhile to keep trying" type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    I struggle at 25yds, don't know if it's my eyes, my sights, or what but I struggle. I intended to shoot this drill 8 times and see if I improved or degraded. My first 2 attempts result in scores in the low 20s, on my third string I noticed that my eyes were kind of like an automatically focusing camera that can't decide what to focus on. My eyes would hard focus on the target then front sight, and back and forth. I then realized my fifth string that focusing on my front sight worked as I had a 44pts group with an X! I continued and shot another 44pts group on my seventh string. On my last string I shot the pictured group, circled holes. 32pts measuring 3-1/2". I had forgotten my tape measure so I used some paster tape, marked it and measured it when I got home. That one flyer off the paper is disappointing but the group was my best so I'll take it!
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shooting groups at 25 yards has always been difficult for me.

I find it best to use a hard focus on the front sight. The target is usually some kind of blob way down there. I try to keep the front sight on the big blob and squeeeeze. If you noticed, I only told you about my good groups.

Vision is a funny thing. My wife and I can't use the same sight settings on our pistols.

Have you tried shooting groups from close in then increase the distance? I can shoot tighter groups at 20 yards or 50 feet than I can at 25 yards. I think I can see everything better.

Cz p09 #2 factory sights
    47-0x. 3 3/8" third attempt
    Federal bulk

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Shooting groups at 25 yards has always been difficult for me.

I find it best to use a hard focus on the front sight. The target is usually some kind of blob way down there. I try to keep the front sight on the big blob and squeeeeze. If you noticed, I only told you about my good groups.

Vision is a funny thing. My wife and I can't use the same sight settings on our pistols.

Have you tried shooting groups from close in then increase the distance? I can shoot tighter groups at 20 yards or 50 feet than I can at 25 yards. I think I can see everything better.
    I periodically do walk backs with 3x5 cards and I'm usually pretty good until about 18-20yds, that's when my shots are more difficult, for me, to call. I know that's not really shooting for groups but if I could shoot a group that stayed in an index card at 25yards I wouldn't complain! I think it just takes time and practice. Admittedly, it's not something I enjoy so I have a tendency to avoid it, but you can't improve with that mindset, so I've learned.

Site Supporter

Gun used: Rock Island 1911
    Ammo used: Aguila 230 gr FMJ.
    Things noticed: My sights need drifting, I was holding on the edge of the paper. The Rock Island ran fairly well and was almost, but not quite as accurate as my Caspian.This target likely doesn't count, on account of it being a B16 target, but the best group I had today...some jackass was sighting his 460 s&w in next to me and I was having a hard time keeping focused, but this is about as good as I got.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Gun: Grayguns Sig P320 9mm
    Ammo: SNS 125 gr coated; 4.0gr VV N320

2 Tries:
    10 shots, 95 (2X), 4.5"
    10 shots, 93 (3X), 8.5"

Notes: I like this gun. It's only my second week with it, and in every drill I am more accurate and faster with the 320 than with a G34.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 09-24-2015 at 07:13 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Gun: Colt 1911 Government model
    Ammo: 200 grain lead semi wad cutter reloads
    50 points 3X
    3.5" group

I realize that I shoot this gun better than my G19 at longer distances. Up close they are equally accurate, but farther away the 1911 just shoots better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M&P9
    Mustang munitions 124gr
    Ameriglo black suppressor height sights (in front of where the RMR should go, slide is milled but no dot yet )
    6 shots ~5.5" used a zone of uspsa (didn't have a B8 handy)
    First attempt, fired ~15 rounds at 10 yards before this.

I know this is far worse than most people on here, but I am proud of this sucker here. If I would have known it was gonna be this good I would have broke out a fresh target!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  21.8 KB

Kinda hard to see, it's somehow rotated, and there are a couple 556 holes in there.
    Last edited by Luke; 09-29-2015 at 01:05 PM.

You just more or less held on a consistent place on the A zone? That's a great group for that sort of target index!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Yea tried my best to hold the same spot. I need a taller from sight. It's shooting high. HOPEFULLY I'll have a RMR this weekend and post back up some better stuff on B8's. Thank you for the kind words sir.

User Tag List