Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Rifle Choice

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    If there are problems with WOA in the quality department I haven't read about them online. I have seen exactly one complaint.
    I didn't say that there was any complaints. Good luck with this. If you end up buying something soon and test it, let us know.
    #RESIST

We are all victims of our own experiences...

The OP seems unhappy with much of the advice, as it appears to not mesh with his use case. Of course, that is likely due to a failure to properly and clearly state the use case. In the absence of that, the respondents are filling in the voids from their own set of experiences and needs. In fact, the initial post mentioned "wylde" which some took to mean .223 wylde but which seems to have been intends to discuss a broader range of calibers (not entirely clear if the OP made that tangent, or the respondents, that's how off the rails this has gotten).

I will say this, in the absence of a clear use case, buy a Colt 6920 or 6720 and go shoot. If you simply must get nutty, go buy a Daniel Defense or BCM and go shoot.

If others are not clearly understanding your stated use case, it's typically because it's not clear in your own head. There's nothing wrong with that, and nothing wrong with using the Internet to work it out, but don't get mad at the respondents for simply trying to help (or, also boosting their own ego) in a vacuum.

I just read the entire thread and there is a ton of good info here. I am from the precision AR camp and I think the idea of
    If a rifle, any rifle, is not sub MOA I am really not interested.
    is just a good way to set one's self up for dissappointment, especially if shooting factory ammo.

I own many truly "sub-moa" rifles with sub-moa being the avg. of 5 groups minimum (5 shot groups), on multiple occasions, under appropriate environmental conditions conducive to accuracy. All shots fired count, none of the toss out the fliers routine. Sub-moa is easy in an AR platform. What isn't easy is being guaranteed a sub-moa rifle with off the shelf ammo in a predetermined configuration that might be more of a battle rifle build (for lack of a better term). Good luck in your pursuit.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The guy just wants an accurate AR15 to make small groups with at the range.

Nothing wrong with that. Not everyone has to buy a general purpose infantry carbine.
    I agree and did not mean to imply that. My long winded (for me) posts in this thread were meant to ascertain what he really wants (summed up well by you as quoted) and what he will actually use.

I did attempt to drive home how much of a shifting target "subMOA" is. Personally, I think most shooters would not know the difference between repeatable 2MOA at 100 yard guns and subMOA from a cherrypicked 3 shot group at 100 yard guns.

The other day I pasted a bunch of 1" dots on a piece of paper and hit each one at 100 yards with my .308 700. To me, that was good enough. Is it subMOA? I don't know by my standards. I think that an average of several 5 or better yet 10 shot groups measured properly with calipers would tell me that. However, I'm not obsessing over it. I do not care and I also think the gunternets cares too much about "subMOA." My brother performed the following with an SR25 that was not subMOA with issued sniper ammo yet he did not get "killed on the streets" in Fallujah:

Corporal Name Withheld observed five armed insurgents attempting to occupy a fighting position in a courtyard. With little more than inches available as a shooting lane, Corporal Name Withheld engaged and killed three of the five insurgents at a distance of more than 300 meters, as they ran past the narrow opening. Shortly thereafter, the platoon Corporal Name Withheld was supporting radioed him reporting that they had seen an insurgent run into a house and asked if he had positive observation. Carefully searching, Corporal Name Withheld was able to acquire the enemy through a three-inch crack in the wall. With one skillfully placed shot, Corporal Name Withheld eliminated the insurgent with a single round to the head. Later inspection revealed that the insurgent had barricaded himself inside the house and was preparing to fight any Marines entering the building to the death. Corporal Name Withheld's proficiency undoubtedly again prevented the enemy from inflicting casualties on friendly forces.
    #RESIST

I do not care and I also think the gunternets cares too much about "subMOA."
    I agree. Not to drift the thread too much, but this summer I have shot well over 1000 p-dogs as has my brother. We are trying to make a good sized dent in the population at the request of the land owner. Out to a couple of hundred yards, I can't tell the difference in hit percentages between my 2 stock AR 15 rifles shooting 55 grain Horn. S/P ammo loaded on a progressive press with mixed brass, vs. my nuts accurate .204 Ruger shooting tailored ammo that was loaded with almost anal attention to detail. Minute of pest seems to work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rwa View Post
    I agree. Not to drift the thread too much, but this summer I have shot well over 1000 p-dogs as has my brother. We are trying to make a good sized dent in the population at the request of the land owner. Out to a couple of hundred yards, I can't tell the difference in hit percentages between my 2 stock AR 15 rifles shooting 55 grain Horn. S/P ammo loaded on a progressive press with mixed brass, vs. my nuts accurate .204 Ruger shooting tailored ammo that was loaded with almost anal attention to detail. Minute of pest seems to work just fine.
    Three things work on p-dogs enough to make a difference: poison, fire, and bubonic plague.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Three things work on p-dogs enough to make a difference: poison, fire, and bubonic plague.
    But aside from fire, what fun is that?

I would get a 16 inch AR (easy to switch flash hider/muzzle device) and free float the barrel. I prefer a midlength gas system personally but a carbine system would be fine. I put a accupower 1-4 on my rifle and can hit out to 500-600 pretty easily as long as I am not an ass on the trigger. I am pretty happy that this set up makes it stupid easy to hit out to three hundred, especially with good ammo.

User Tag List