Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The value of unarmed hand to hand training?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I think that BJJ is more important than most gun training because of the ground game and the physical conditioning.
    So let's say a hypothetical someone had a knee that was a few years from needing replaced per docs and a few slipped disks in the c-spine. Could that completely hypothetical person engage in such training without further injury and still obtain something from it?

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    So let's say a hypothetical someone had a knee that was a few years from needing replaced per docs and a few slipped disks in the c-spine. Could that completely hypothetical person engage in such training without further injury and still obtain something from it?
    Yes. Look at your local schools and talk to the instructors.
    #RESIST

Yeah I'll echo that. Full disclosure and the right training partners should set you up for a good experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I will tell my completely hypothetical friend who is certainly not me to do so, if he were to exist.

Thanks guys, lots of great info & food for thought. 125mph comment has resonated with me, might need to go to a couple of other gyms & check them out.
    The injuries are a result of strikes not pulled & locks pushed too far too quickly... I.e. Before one can tap out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroptsdown View Post
    Thanks guys, lots of great info & food for thought. 125mph comment has resonated with me, might need to go to a couple of other gyms & check them out.
    The injuries are a result of strikes not pulled & locks pushed too far too quickly... I.e. Before one can tap out.
    Lots of people do dumb shit, don't let that stop you from finding a good place with good training partners. They need you as much as you need them. No one "wins" in the gym like the guys who hurt folks think.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

That's a sign of 1 of 3 things:

1) shitty partner
    2) shitty instruction
    3) both

I tend to blame the teacher, but sometimes a loose cannon isn't a "mean" person, just typically a fear biter or a bully. The latter is where I tend to blame the teacher.

I have a poster I made on my wall and one point is: a good student is a good partner. When I say that aloud it often checks the egos.
    Last edited by BaiHu; 09-19-2015 at 02:27 PM.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

It's all about finding the right fit. When you get a good group of guys together and a good coach, it's awesome.

Sometimes, though, even when you find that, it's isn't forever. What's the Fight Club quote, a moment is enough, but a moment is all you can really expect from perfection? Yeah, when people change over the years or after a few years, sometimes it becomes time to move on again. Says the guy with a BJJ team logo tattooed on the inside of his arm. D'oh.

How severe are the injuries you're talking about? If I was getting my arm popped every day in training it wouldn't take long for me to say screw that.

P
    Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    I tend to blame the teacher, but sometimes a loose cannon isn't a "mean" person, just typically a fear biter or a bully. The latter is where I tend to blame the teacher.
    If it happens more than once or twice from different partners, then it is completely the fault of the instructor. It is his job to make sure it's a thug/meathead free zone. If he does not bother, or does not even think about it, I would leave.

I spend a ton of my time while teaching my weekly classes or weekend seminars watching the energy of the room. I also regularly tell people the level of energy and intensity that is appropriate at that moment during that drill. I think of it like a firearms instructor who pays lip service to safety rules. You either mean it and make sure all understand, or you don't , and you run the risk of injury.

I just had an out of town visitor this past week in class, who I had to sit down and give him a "come to Jesus" moment because he was spastic and was inappropriately heavy handed. He was going with a 16 yr old 140 pound white belt, and the visitor was an adult man weighing over 230. I actually stopped the roll and took him aside. I also called his home instructor and told him he needed to reign the guy in.

We need to train hard in the gym. We don't have to train stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    P

If it happens more than once or twice from different partners, then it is completely the fault of the instructor. It is his job to make sure it's a thug/meathead free zone. If he does not bother, or does not even think about it, I would leave.

I spend a ton of my time while teaching my weekly classes or weekend seminars watching the energy of the room. I also regularly tell people the level of energy and intensity that is appropriate at that moment during that drill. I think of it like a firearms instructor who pays lip service to safety rules. You either mean it and make sure all understand, or you don't , and you run the risk of injury.

I just had an out of town visitor this past week in class, who I had to sit down and give him a "come to Jesus" moment because he was spastic and was inappropriately heavy handed. He was going with a 16 yr old 140 pound white belt, and the visitor was an adult man weighing over 230. I actually stopped the roll and took him aside. I also called his home instructor and told him he needed to reign the guy in.

We need to train hard in the gym. We don't have to train stupid.
    Good stuff. I was fairly seriously injured once in 20 years of full contact training. That was 5-7 days a week. The rest of the time there was nothing negative to talk about.

User Tag List