Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The value of unarmed hand to hand training?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    My eye opening moment was when I was actively attending a school and saw the guys rolling around and working through the problem with calm expressions on their faces.
    Very true, and one of the ways/reasons you can get addicted to BJJ. It is awesome when a white belt with 6 months of training comes up to me after sparring and says that while he still got beat, he was able to think and try stuff even while getting crushed by a bigger opponent, or dominated by a better one. It is even more addicting when you are able to not just think through a problem/situation, but then have the ability to execute the solution and it works exactly as it should. No drug gets you that high.

Quote Originally Posted by GP47 View Post
    I
    Zero, the problem training everything at once is that you become a master of none. Prior to my run in professional MMA, I trained Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu exclusively for about four years. I participated in tournaments and added in pieces to my game while working up to amateur MMA fights. By the time I stepped into the cage as an amateur I was already at purple belt level so I only needed enough wrestling to get guys to the ground where they would eventually drown. If I had jumped in on day one training "MMA," (like most of the guys I fought as an amateur) I wouldn't be anywhere near the fighter I've become. It's too general, you miss all of the "little things" when you don't dedicate the time to each discipline.
    So incredibly true and well said.

The fact is that most MMA gyms or "eclectic martial arts" are sloppy as hell in most areas. Even good ones. The number of MMA gyms with good BJJ that do not have a separate BJJ program is minuscule. The problem is exacerbated because entangled fighting is the most chaotic type of fighting, where tiny changes (like moving your elbow one inch) can be the difference between success and failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    I am being ganged up on!!

Your jiu jitsu can't help you with that.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I'm always glad to see Cecil post too.

From my own perspective: I'm no big BJJ guy, and am not very good at it. But I have done enough that it has made an absolutely night and day difference for me. There is a really really huge difference between someone with no grappling skill and someone with a little bit of grappling skill. Even my very low level of skill has kept me from being summarily dominated on the ground a number of times (in the informal screwing around context as well as the training environment - it sure served me well in ECQC.)
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    My eye opening moment was when I was actively attending a school and saw the guys rolling around and working through the problem with calm expressions on their faces.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    That is an incredibly powerful benefit, I think even at a basic level of BJJ training.
    I focus hard on SA skills, love reading and learning about sociology, criminology and critical thinking. I have daily dry fire/SIRT regimen, and I'm dedicated daily. Now creeping into my early 40's, I'm having to focus harder on nutrition and working out. I try to get to get out to the range and train at least once a week, but generally make it a minimum of four times a month, counting IDPA.

But, with only a few years of organized kickboxing in my 20's and about the same amount of time bar fighting in the military, my biggest takeaway was how to take a punch. I'm coming to realize my H2H is weaksauce, and I got nothing when on the ground. Reading the above three posts highlights that it's time to get some BJJ instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by GP47 View Post
    No one wins fights with flashy, twisting, flying arm locks of doom.

I'm just making jokes
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

User Tag List