Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: pre-keyhole 629

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I just realized that I forgot to mention the "power port" versions that were AFAIK all pre lock ( i have not really researched that though). I have one sample, a 6.5" version, and the PP really does a pretty decent job of reducing some felt recoil. I have ZERO data, just based on shooting similar barrel lengths, on the same day, with the same ammo. Not knowing the type of activities you intend to use your potential new .44 for, it's hard to comment on appropriate barrel lengths.
    I really don't have a use for it. Just to have, mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I just realized that I forgot to mention the "power port" versions that were AFAIK all pre lock ( i have not really researched that though). I have one sample, a 6.5" version, and the PP really does a pretty decent job of reducing some felt recoil. I have ZERO data, just based on shooting similar barrel lengths, on the same day, with the same ammo. Not knowing the type of activities you intend to use your potential new .44 for, it's hard to comment on appropriate barrel lengths.
    I'm getting my power port 629(bought in 1996) back from S&W tomorrow.. I'd sent it in because after shooting an estimated 3-4000 rnds through it, some of them pretty warm it had developed some serious end shake, and I believe the hand was worn as the cylinder wasn't completely locking into place when the hammer was drawn back..you could hear the cylinder "click" after the hammer was cocked, I sent it in and had S&W go over it..

Any way, at one point a friend and I decided to compare recoil with the power port, against a older Mod 29, a Dan Wesson.44 with a 8" bbl and a 10" heavy bbl, With heavier loads the 629 seemed like it had less recoil. Not real scientific of course, but we had fun. I'm looking forward to getting it back..I've got some .44's all loaded up and waiting..

Got the pistol back this AM, via Fed-Ex. According to the invoice, S&W did the following; Evaluate/Repair, Replace Extractor,Hand, Repair Yoke, Trigger..

I have a 629-3, with a 5" Magnaported barrel, full underlug, round butt with original finger groove wood grips. Am told it was a special run, but never looked into it. A former owner "matted" down the finish, apparently with steel wool, so the collector value is gone, but it is a good shooter. I am just not much of a revolver guy and don't know that much about them. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by smithjd View Post
    I have a 629-3, with a 5" Magnaported barrel, full underlug, round butt with original finger groove wood grips. Am told it was a special run, but never looked into it. A former owner "matted" down the finish, apparently with steel wool, so the collector value is gone, but it is a good shooter. I am just not much of a revolver guy and don't know that much about them. Any thoughts?
    If you sent it back to S&W they may be able to re polish the finish...Might be worth a call to ask.. Otherwise, I'd keep it and shoot it..

Quote Originally Posted by smithjd View Post
    I am the wrong guy to ask. The 5" ported with Pach grips was $625.

So, a 6" 29-2 came home with me. The SAME FREAKING EVENING I get a text from a friend with a 4" 629-1 he wants to unload. Figures.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    So, a 6" 29-2 came home with me. The SAME FREAKING EVENING I get a text from a friend with a 4" 629-1 he wants to unload. Figures.
    Remember, 2 is 1 and 1 is 0.

Also, the 4" can be the BUG for the 6".
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Remember, 2 is 1 and 1 is 0.

Also, the 4" can be the BUG for the 6".
    Makes sense to me. Ammo compatibility, etc. Now...who makes an ankle holster for a 4" 629...

User Tag List