Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pre-keyhole 629

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post

I've been priced right out of the Hand Ejector market. Man, I felt like a big pimpin' high roller when I plunked down $450 for this thing.
    I remember turning down a pristine Colt DS for $300 because WTF in their right mind would pay $300 for a DS? $400 Tommy gun? Of course that's back when this was all corn fields and $5 let your ride everything at the county fair all day...

The same pawn shop with the 29 has one for $389 and it looks like it's spent time in a dryer with a couple of bricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    That 629 doesnt look like it has the super duper new improved big load internals, but I think thats more of an issue if you like to shoot 300 gr stuff a lot.

Sad about the nickel gun. My first 29 was a 6 1/2" nickel.

The link you put up looked pretty decent about checking one out.
    I wouldn't run heavy loads through it. I'll use the Redhawk if I ever want to stove up my wrists. I really just want one to have one. Probably Dirty Harry influence. Ok, it's because Dirty Harry.

Would $625 be a good price on the 629 4" ported, assuming good condition?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Would $625 be a good price on the 629 4" ported, assuming good condition?
    For a nice condition pre-lock, pre-MIM gun? That's probably about the going rate.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    For a nice condition pre-lock, pre-MIM gun? That's probably about the going rate.
    I paid $600 for my early 90s vintage 4" 629 about 5 years ago. At the time, it was one of the less expensive S&W 44mag revolvers I had come across in recent times.

Kind of related...less than a year ago, I came across a high polished 2.5" 629 with fixed sights for $800. I didn't buy it, but a little research indicated it's an actual factory model. Considering "normal" 629s aren't much cheaper around here, I'm surprised at the price if it was a "rare" factory variant. I have no need for it, but I want that gun in a bad way. It would be a dandy bbq gun. However, I couldn't justify $800 for something like that, so I left it on the table. It lasted the entire show, but didn't make an appearance at the next show months later.

Chris

N-snubs command stupid prices relative to the 4-6-8 3/8 guns for some reason. This is odd, because some of them, like the 3" 629 and 657, are not especially rare, but collectors do weird things.

Site Supporter
    N-snubs command stupid prices relative to the 4-6-8 3/8 guns for some reason. This is odd, because some of them, like the 3" 629 and 657, are not especially rare, but collectors do weird things.
    No doubt, but what got my attention was the high polish and fixed sights. *That* was unusual, at least to me.

Here's a thread on one, but with a ported barrel and no polish:
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...-question.html

Chris

The fixed-sight 2½" guns are quite rare. I'd have been sorely tempted, especially because of the fixed sights.

As an aside, this was funny at the link: "I find the blast in your field of vision when firing with arms extended distracting."
    I had a future well-known trainer say that about my 3" 629. I was like "Hello? It's a snub-nosed .44 Magnum. Like you're even going to notice the little jets from the ports against the backdrop of the beach ball sized muzzle blast."

Out of curiosity I types in 629 pre lock on GB and it had a half dozen pop up, including a -1 which they were asking high 7s. I would imagine if you took the time to peruse the auction sites, you should be able to find a pre lock stainless gun at a "reasonable" rate in today's economy. I am just very, very happy I picked up a few over the years. Only a couple stainless versions, but enough to wear out my wrists, before I wear out the collection.

Here is something to eyeball and get ya motivated to go after the IDEAL (to me) outdoorsman's cartridge.

I just realized that I forgot to mention the "power port" versions that were AFAIK all pre lock ( i have not really researched that though). I have one sample, a 6.5" version, and the PP really does a pretty decent job of reducing some felt recoil. I have ZERO data, just based on shooting similar barrel lengths, on the same day, with the same ammo. Not knowing the type of activities you intend to use your potential new .44 for, it's hard to comment on appropriate barrel lengths.

User Tag List