Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got my handloads dialed in.

That's pretty awesome.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    To show how little i know, Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Its just a pretty deep crimp groove. The dies roll the case into it pretty well.

http://www.fototime.com/68B4E7F5228FB76/standard.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I loaded some 8.5 up a few weeks ago when I first was given the secret recipe from LR. It is certainly pleasant to shoot, but I'm too simple of a guy to have more than one power load in a single caliber. I find the 10g quite pleasant to shoot, and figure I'll simplify things and just have a ton of them around. This is a hunting gun and a ranch gun, so power and flat shooting is what I'm after. As you said, this combo will likely go through anything on the continent:-)
    I settled on 3 different 44 loads, 6 1/2 grs Unique in a 44 spl case, the 9 grs Unique with the 240-250 gr cast, and the Keith load of 22 grs/2400 with the 250 gr Lyman cast. The 9 grs are the most fun and do the most general work I think, your loads are just a bit more of a good thing. With the 9 gr load I was trying to come close to the Remington medium power factory load of 240 gr cast bullet @ about 1000 fps, even though I've never shot any of them in factory loads (that was the 1980's anyway). I think that load may run a bit over 1000 fps, but it didnt matter, they shot so well and are so comfortable to shoot I didnt care too much exactly what velocity they were.

The medium loads flatten trajectory out enough to make it quite a bit easier to hit at extended distances over 44 spl level loads, but werent at all unpleasant to shoot. I made 5 for 6 on our old 300 yard plate (18w x 36h)with that load in my 4" 29. I think with a little practice it would do well on smaller plates at distance.

It didnt take long to get over shooting the hotter loads in the 44's, the medium loads are really sweet shooters. I load up with the heavier stuff when going out where the bears hang out, but the vast majority of 44 shooting is the medium level stuff.
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-14-2015 at 10:19 PM.

Looks like you are ready for hunting season!

Nice shooting and great gun.

I majorly regret selling my 629 Classic 5" earlier this year when we bought our house and needed some additional cash. I really need to get another one.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    10.0 of Unique with a standard weight SWC is a sweet spot with the caliber. It will also shoot all the way through anything on this continent and kill them "freezer wrap" dead. Go forth and harvest the Lord's bounty now! If you want .44 Special performance, drop down to 8.5 grains and you'll probably like that one too.
    This. The first deer I killed with a handgun fell to this load. It will drop just about anything, plus you can shoot it enough to get really good.

Okie John

Fantastic shooting; totally Elmer Keith stuff here!

Are you weighing each charge or using those Lee scoops?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

10.0 of Unique with a standard weight SWC is a sweet spot with the caliber. It will also shoot all the way through anything on this continent and kill them "freezer wrap" dead. Go forth and harvest the Lord's bounty now! If you want .44 Special performance, drop down to 8.5 grains and you'll probably like that one too.
    That's not a bad load in .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk either.

Should I have your favorite niece start praying for SLG......
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Reloading with Antique, err "Unique"...

I'm always impressed at how accurate the powder is...

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Fantastic shooting; totally Elmer Keith stuff here!

Are you weighing each charge or using those Lee scoops?
    Currently use a chargemaster for eveything. Going to try a standard powder measure in a few days. I like the Lee idea, but it seems like a lot of work if they dont have a scoop size for exactly what you want.

User Tag List