Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got my handloads dialed in.

Got my handloads dialed in.

Thanks to Lost River, my .44 magnums are shooting like a house on fire. I don't usually post pics of guns or shots of targets, but I am so pleased with how these handloads are doing that I thought I'd share, as a thank you to Lost River. The gun is a 5" 629 Classic. X500 grips on it. Load is Beartooth bullets 255gr Keith, over 10 grs of Unique. The secret is the crimp:-) Bullet chrono'd at 1210 fps. I shot this today, at 100 yards, from prone. I also shot some of my best ever 25 yard groups with it today, but that was standing. Also amazing to me is the trajectory. POA/POI from 10-100 yards is within a deer's vitals:-)
    Name:  100 yard 44.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  24.6 KB

Looks like its working for you.

What can you reveal about the crimp secret?

I've shot far more 9 grs Unique than any other charge in the 44 mag. Its always been a good performer, and not unpleasant to shoot. Looks like 10 grs in a winner also.

It's been a long time since I loaded any Unique but I seem to recall that powder liking a very firm roll crimp with cartridges in that category.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I think you are humble-bragging.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Looks like its working for you.

What can you reveal about the crimp secret?
    The secret is...you need to crimp them. :-) But you already knew that. I am very new to pistol cartridge reloading, and am used to precision rifle reloading. I certainly know heavy revolver loads need crimps, but I figured that 10 grs was light enough to not need it. I was wrong. Not only did I tie my cylinder up one day, but my accuracy, which I thought was pretty good, was way worse than it is now. If there is a particular way to crimp, I'm unaware of it. I use a Lee crimp die, and it seems to work great. In fact, I broke out our Dillons today and may go into business:-)

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think you are humble-bragging.
    I won't lie, I am very happy with a sub 6" group at 100 yards and irons. I haven't shot that small a 100 yard group since I had to switch from my beloved Sigs. And they had no recoil.

I wouldn't post a trophy target, ever, since that is not of interest to me. This gun was extremely consistent today, shooting much better than my usual duty weapons. I fired almost 50 rds, and all of them were small groups at different distances and positions. Very consistent. If it continues that way for the next few sessions, I'll be willing to consider it an on demand ability, which is what i am always after.

Site Supporter
    10.0 of Unique with a standard weight SWC is a sweet spot with the caliber. It will also shoot all the way through anything on this continent and kill them "freezer wrap" dead. Go forth and harvest the Lord's bounty now! If you want .44 Special performance, drop down to 8.5 grains and you'll probably like that one too.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    The secret is...you need to crimp them. :-) But you already knew that. I am very new to pistol cartridge reloading, and am used to precision rifle reloading. I certainly know heavy revolver loads need crimps, but I figured that 10 grs was light enough to not need it. I was wrong. Not only did I tie my cylinder up one day, but my accuracy, which I thought was pretty good, was way worse than it is now. If there is a particular way to crimp, I'm unaware of it. I use a Lee crimp die, and it seems to work great. In fact, I broke out our Dillons today and may go into business:-)
    Yes, I started out using fairly heavy roll crimps with revolver loads. I think it helps Unique burn cleaner also, as does the medium power range loads.

I dont know how the Lee dies crimp, I've mostly had RCBS dies. You can make a pretty serious roll crimp with them. Turning the brass all the way into the crimp groove in the Lyman/Keith bullets is not difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    You can make a pretty serious roll crimp with them. Turning the brass all the way into the crimp groove in the Lyman/Keith bullets is not difficult.
    To show how little i know, Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    10.0 of Unique with a standard weight SWC is a sweet spot with the caliber. It will also shoot all the way through anything on this continent and kill them "freezer wrap" dead. Go forth and harvest the Lord's bounty now! If you want .44 Special performance, drop down to 8.5 grains and you'll probably like that one too.
    I loaded some 8.5 up a few weeks ago when I first was given the secret recipe from LR. It is certainly pleasant to shoot, but I'm too simple of a guy to have more than one power load in a single caliber. I find the 10g quite pleasant to shoot, and figure I'll simplify things and just have a ton of them around. This is a hunting gun and a ranch gun, so power and flat shooting is what I'm after. As you said, this combo will likely go through anything on the continent:-)

User Tag List