Thread: AAR: Ken Hackathorn 2-Day Tactical Handgun Course 12-13 SEP, Bellevue, WA

AAR: Ken Hackathorn 2-Day Tactical Handgun Course 12-13 SEP, Bellevue, WA

I’ve read several excellent AARs of Ken Hackathorn’s 2-Day Pistol courses that could have been the AAR of this course, so I won’t repeat them. Instead, I’ll just make four aditional points:
    1. The low-light portion of the course alone is worth the tuition.
    2. Ken is a kind man and a superb instructor. One student was in well over his head, and Ken kept him moving right along without slowing anyone else down.
    3. In the months before the class, I spent a lot of time shooting the drills described in AARs. That helped, but in this class, you’ll get individual coaching from a man who has the experience to critique EVERY aspect of what you’re doing and help you get better on the spot. As with the low-light work, just this level of individual diagnosis and coaching is worth the tuition.
    4. I was one of the better shooters in this class. I would not be surprised if I spend the next 12-18 months getting good on the drills we learned, which will then form the basis for a lifetime of practice and training.

If you ever get the chance to train with the guy who trained all of the world’s best trainers, including the former Tier I guys, do it.

You can thank me later.

Okie John

That was a great class!

Quote Originally Posted by rremington View Post
    That was a great class!
    Which one were you?

Okie John

I was the big guy on the far left of squad 1 with the 9mm 1911.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I've had instructors I liked and instructors I didn't like.

Instructors I became friends with and instructors I'm pretty sure never want to see me again.

Ken is the only instructor who I actually got serious nerves from and had to actively work down my heart rate when he was timing me on an individual drill. I wouldn't say I rattle easily but he is the only "celebrity" instructor that had any impact on me just from who he was. I consider his classes to be the absolute foundation of tactical and it was my privilege to do 4 straight days with him up here a couple of years ago. He's a hell of a teacher and a hell of a guy. I'm not a "bucket list" person at all, or a "course collector", but that was a once-in-a-lifetime brush with greatness for me and I will never forget it.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I've had instructors I liked and instructors I didn't like.

Instructors I became friends with and instructors I'm pretty sure never want to see me again.

Ken is the only instructor who I actually got serious nerves from and had to actively work down my heart rate when he was timing me on an individual drill. I wouldn't say I rattle easily but he is the only "celebrity" instructor that had any impact on me just from who he was. I consider his classes to be the absolute foundation of tactical and it was my privilege to do 4 straight days with him up here a couple of years ago. He's a hell of a teacher and a hell of a guy. I'm not a "bucket list" person at all, or a "course collector", but that was a once-in-a-lifetime brush with greatness for me and I will never forget it.
    Exactly. It was like taking Physics 101 from Isaac Newton.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I’ve read several excellent AARs of Ken Hackathorn’s 2-Day Pistol courses that could have been the AAR of this course, so I won’t repeat them. Instead, I’ll just make four aditional points:
    1. The low-light portion of the course alone is worth the tuition.
    2. Ken is a kind man and a superb instructor. One student was in well over his head, and Ken kept him moving right along without slowing anyone else down.
    3. In the months before the class, I spent a lot of time shooting the drills described in AARs. That helped, but in this class, you’ll get individual coaching from a man who has the experience to critique EVERY aspect of what you’re doing and help you get better on the spot. As with the low-light work, just this level of individual diagnosis and coaching is worth the tuition.
    4. I was one of the better shooters in this class. I would not be surprised if I spend the next 12-18 months getting good on the drills we learned, which will then form the basis for a lifetime of practice and training.

If you ever get the chance to train with the guy who trained all of the world’s best trainers, including the former Tier I guys, do it.

You can thank me later.

Okie John
    Succinct and to the point. Hope to take a class in the future with Mr Hackathorn.

Thanks, your review helps.

User Tag List