Page 64 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy PFestivus! I've got a lot of problems with you people.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I ran a half marathon in full patrol gear. It sucked but I could probably do a full one if i had a dew days to relax after.

@LL, at least do some running, its good for you.
    If I feel the urge to travel 13 miles I take a car.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

I like driving fast cars to get places. If I'm feeling lazy, then I'll take a plane.
    Last edited by BaiHu; 09-17-2015 at 09:40 AM. Reason: ETA: BigT beat me to it.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Those of us who have personally corresponded with VoodooMan think he has something to offer and I want him posting. The issue is not content it is presentation of content. I was VoodooMan in my late 20's. Shot every night, had been in multiple shootings, trained like an animal and all I cared about was hunting felons and everybody who didn't do it as hard as me sucked. I heard "your delivery sucks" from just about everyone (you think it is bad now, it was terrible then). The only thing I was good about was shutting my suckhole when I was around those folks who were what I wanted to be. I was blessed with great mentors. One of those things I learned from those mentors was that I needed some "Ying" with the "Yang". I made some drastic changes and have been blessed to have learned a lot from people I did not expect to.
    Most know that Todd and I often argued like old women. I learned a lot from those interactions (and with many others here) because I can argue without making it personal. I may despise a persons position, but as long as we are having an honorable fight, I am good personally.....even if I think their position is stupid. Some folks are stupid, and I have little tolerance and will usually turn that off and not bother. 20 years ago, I could not have those arguments with Todd or others. I have been blessed to have learned some great stuff from people I started out massively butting heads with. Ken Good comes to mind, and Ken and I are now friends, and both of us have changed our ideas because of fighting with honor and training with each other. I simply hope we can all have honorable fights here and learn. Hell, if I can "try" with Cody, we can all work to get our points across without name calling and I am a fan of the "say it to their face" rule. Keep in mind that GJM and I hang out now.....go look at past interactions and it shows that learning can occur even without agreement.
    FYI, the next average sized, Sparta helmet wearing naked guy you see marching smartly in your direction, that's me, and I'm coming for a hug.

Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    Did it involve running your mouth?

Couch? I clocked 100m at 10.3 in high school, 10.1 in college. Anything longer than 100m and you can't pretend you're not running away. Marathons are for weak, pencil-necked, chicken-legged tofu-lovers who can neither run fast nor lift heavy.

But don't take this the wrong way, my tone is perfectly neutral, I'm just speaking from experience so others can benefit from knowing the truth about things.
    Too funny.

VDM, English as a second language gets a small amount of slack. English as a fourth language gets none. You are too smart to think that writing is bereft of tone, if you can speak four languages. I cant speak one...

Its not the distance its the ability to overcome the objective mentally. Last half marathon I ran was 6 years ago and I wont do that again.

Lifting is great but running is an awesome way to burn stress, so is fight training, which I do as well.

Id say that anyone who can jog for 26 miles without stopping and keeping the same pace is probably less mentally weak than the average person.

Its not the destination. Its the journey.

Now a days I just crossfit myself into pain.

100 burpees for time followed by a 4 mile indian run, anyone?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Too funny.

VDM, English as a second language gets a small amount of slack. English as a fourth language gets none. You are too smart to think that writing is bereft of tone, if you can speak four languages. I cant speak one...
    I never asked for slack. My command of the English language is advanced enough that most natural speakers of my first and second language do not pick up that I am not a natural English speaker.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

#feeder

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I never asked for slack. My command of the English language is advanced enough that most natural speakers of my first and second language do not pick up that I am not a natural English speaker.

Maar my Afrikaans is baie beter as joune
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

I ran a half marathon in full patrol gear. It sucked but I could probably do a full one if i had a dew days to relax after.
    I ran a mile yesterday evening in callout gear. I wanted an oxygen mask and full body massage afterward. You win.

Its not the distance its the ability to overcome the objective mentally. Last half marathon I ran was 6 years ago and I wont do that again.
    In all seriousness, please consider this. There are lots of ways to overcome objectives mentally. Many of them are a bit more hardcore than running a marathon. A buddy told me about doing BUD/S "straight off the couch," after lazing around for months. Stuck through dark moments with nothing but mental fortitude. "It wasn't that hard," he said. "Of course, I can say that and few can contradict me."

A different buddy used to warm up for event season by doing a couple of marathons. This year it took 8 months of intensive training to complete one, and he was pushed and carried about half the distance, because he lost his leg and the prosthetic wasn't quite right yet. He hopes to do his, what? 4th? Anyway, his next Death Race next year.

I could go on, but I'll stop. I'm sure you know plenty of people who put your (and my) puny levels of mental fortitude to shame.

Consider that more than one such person has conversed with you here. Consider that they have much to teach. Consider that receptive listening, made possible by a little humility, can unlock much potential that remains hidden inside you. You may be a badass, I'll never know. But here's what's true: you're a pathetic weakling compared to what you're capable of. Just gotta embrace the beginner's mind so it can receive the prerequisite knowledge.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

User Tag List