Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advise about 1911 bushing wrench

Need advise about 1911 bushing wrench

I am looking for any advise or tips on how to remove my tight barrel bushing on my 1911. I have trouble getting it out of the slide mostly, but back in is challenging too. I paid good money for it so I don't want to change anything. Short guide rod installed. Gun shoots amazing so I don't want to loosen it. I've seen some pretty flashy wrenches out there like this one called the 1911 Gripwrench http://youtu.be/pkT45huDRuo and the thumb buddy http://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_thumbbuddy.php. Am I missing anything? Thanks in advance!

Don't know what you've tried already.. but first take the slide off the gun, remove the recoil spring and guide rod. Push the barrel forward until it's about half sticking out the front of the slide. Then rotate the bushing with the tool all the way (might have to tap it). At this point if you just can't pull the bushing out, easiest thing is to flip down the barrel link and push the barrel all the forward against the bushing and tap the breech end of the barrel with a mallet until it pushes out the bushing.

I don't believe it will damage the pistol but if I'm wrong I'd like to know ASAP.

ETA: Above video was posted as I was typing. Pretty much what I described, probably easier to follow though. Glad I've been doing it right though
    Last edited by ReverendMeat; 09-12-2015 at 07:32 PM.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Site Supporter
    Ever try using the floorplate of a flush fitting mag?

Always worked for me.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Reverend Meat does it like I do it. I have a couple Les Baers and I hold the edge of the bushing against the edge of the workbench and rotate the slide. Easy as pie.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Ever try using the floorplate of a flush fitting mag?
    It's almost like the radius of the front of the floorplate was designed to mate with the cutout on the bottom of the bushing, isn't it?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Now that's just crazy talk...

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

I just use a Brownells aluminum wrench that I got off the prize table once. With my open gun the gunsmith gave me the exact same wrench, except he made a cut out on the top so it can slip over the barrel (comp prevents the normal way).
    "The rocket worked perfectly, except for landing on the wrong planet." - Wernher Von Braun

http://www.teampegleg.com

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    I just use a Brownells aluminum wrench that I got off the prize table once. With my open gun the gunsmith gave me the exact same wrench, except he made a cut out on the top so it can slip over the barrel (comp prevents the normal way).
    How does the modified aluminum wrench work? I have one I might consider cutting. Does it lift out the bushing somehow? Normal wrench is not allowed in competition?

First, you mention
    I have trouble getting it out of the slide mostly, but back in is challenging too.
    So that needs to be taken in steps. First comment: You should not be rotating the barrel bushing with the barrel in battery. Second comment: With a GI recoil spring and guide, the slide should be off the gun before trying to remove the spring and spring plug.

Here is how I do it.

1) Insure the gun is empty. Remove magazine and chamber check the gun.

2) Remove the slide stop from the gun and remove the slide from the frame while keeping fingers of hand holding slide wrapped around the slide behind the slide nose. This allows that hand to control the spring. Set frame aside.

3) Relax hand holding recoil spring and remove recoil spring and guide rod from slide.

4) Slide the barrel out of battery by at least 0.5". Try to rotate barrel bushing by hand. If successful, remove spring plug. If not, use plastic bushing wrench to turn bushing and then remove spring plug.

5) Attempt to remove barrel bushing by hand. If you cannot, use the barrel as slap hammer to remove the bushing. The idea is short taps of the barrel into the bushing to get it to move.

6) Once the bushing is out, remove the barrel.

Assembly is in reverse with the exception of using a Delrin-faced hammer to seat the bushing into the slide. Be careful when installing the slide stop as to avoid the famed "idiot scratch". I use my right hand to retract the slide against the recoil spring force and use my left hand to install the slide stop.

User Tag List