Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: New Glock Gen 4 ejector

Site Supporter
    I just got off the phone with Glock technical support. They have no timeline on the new ejector being available anywhere except in-house. They aren't even available to certified armorers right now.

Quote Originally Posted by GearScout View Post
    I want to think it's QC on some part like the extractor, too.

But, I was recently watching some super slow-mo video of steel carbine barrels firing. I was struck by how much they jiggled and it made me wonder just how much the polymer parts on our pistols flex during operation.

I suppose it may not be the frame, but it could be the trigger housing housing that's flexing under torsional forces during recoil. This could move the ejector slightly off-axis for an instant and explain the seemingly random ejection pattern as the gun flexes a little differently depending on the recoil impulse from each cartridge's powder load and temperature of the gun.

Yeah, I know it's a bit out there. But I really like the sunsets on my private island.
    I think it's a perfect storm of poorly made MIM parts (extractors) and the various demons induced by the new RSA design changing the slide's velocity/timing. Glock changed too many things at once but given the many hacked-on-frames older Glocks out there with no problems, I'd say it's the simplest explanation - the RSA redesign.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd say it's the simplest explanation - the RSA redesign.
    I tried many things to get my Gen4 working consistently. Looking at my logs, the 1 change that made the biggest improvement was the RSA. But, I still got pelted in the face w/ brass, it just happened less frequently.

My brain is going to explode trying to keep up with everything you have to update or replace to get a Gen 4 Glock and some Gen 3 Glocks running as reliably as they used to.

Anyone know the part # for the new ejector in .40? Are they available anywhere?

Question

JHC- This is a guess, but I'd say all the Gen4 problems come down to flex in the Gen4 frame. When Glock changed the grip and trigger housing, it seems they may have misjudged the amount of material needed to maintain the dimensional stability of those parts under recoil.

But, what causes some Gen4s to run while others have ejection problems? [Total Conjecture Alert] Could be that some batches of the frame polymer are a hair stiffer or even softer. Earlier models may have looser tolerances because there isn't so much stuff jammed into the new grip on the Gen4. It might just be a simple case of tolerance stacking in the part dimensions as well as the polymer formula.

I am curious if there is a different reliability experience in right- vs. left-handed shooters. Since there is subtle difference in the way the frame flexes depending on which hand you're shooting from, there may be a correlation between problem pistols and shooter handedness.
    I can tell you for a fact as a port-sider myself, I am not exempt from the same ejection issues, unfortunately. I shoot G22/G23 Gen4's with hand-loads and factory brass...all being mostly 180gr. It seems the hotter the load, the worse the problem....dinged in the forehead by my damaged brass with caved-in case mouths. Does the new ejector (Trigger Mechanism Housing w/ejector .40 cal Gen. 4 - 1 @ $9.95 from GlockParts) resolve this issue? Frankly, I'd be OK w/ taking a case to the head once in a while if it stopped damaging my brass severely.

Here are the two ejectors, original Gen4 and the 9/2011 update. Mine does not have a part number on it.
    The word is that this part addresses the erratic ejection issue by catching more of the shell casing. Changes to the Gen4 frame introduced a small amount of flex that caused the original Gen4 ejector to sometimes miss the "sweet spot" on the shell casing as the action recoiled. Increasing the size of the ejector face should increase the likelihood of an effective strike on the shell case.
    Attachment 154

The new RSA was reinforced to address an issue found in a few Law Enforcement agency Gen4 pistols where the head of the recoil spring assembly broke due to a change in the manufacturing process. If you look closely, you'll see the only change is the beefed up head plug and a new capture ring that surrounds the end of the spring.
    Attachment 155
    Is this the correct part for G22/23, as well? I desperately am looking to fix my ejection issues. My brass...and my forehead are taking a beating!

Thanks!

User Tag List