Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Glock Gen 4 ejector

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Long Tom, thanks again. Signing up for his email service. I'm getting ready to call Glock about brass being tossed in my face and I know it's going to be one of two things:

-send it back to get a new ejector installed (takes weeks)

-the new RSA will fix everything just like the last new one did

You are very welcome. Have you tried the white sound HRED and an aftermarket ejector? I've seen those produce some good results. I think it's patently ridiculous that those would be necessary to make a Glock work right, but I've exhausted myself on harping on the new gun industry paradigm to comment on it further.

I have a buddy who ordered a new RSA for his Gen 4 G 19 a month and a half ago, or maybe longer; it was just prior to Glock rolling out its latest non-recall "recall". He still hasn't received it yet.

I'm glad my Gen 4's and late Model Gen 3's are running like champs; I really wouldn't want to have to have extended dealings with Glocks CS right now.

What is the specific part number for the ejector? Is that out at this time?

Quote Originally Posted by l8apex View Post
    What is the specific part number for the ejector? Is that out at this time?
    If you look at the picture in the thread, the new ejector is marked 30274, the old one was marked 336. I do not know if there is another number for it. Is that the number you were looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by Long tom coffin View Post
    You are very welcome. Have you tried the white sound HRED and an aftermarket ejector? I've seen those produce some good results. I think it's patently ridiculous that those would be necessary to make a Glock work right, but I've exhausted myself on harping on the new gun industry paradigm to comment on it further.
    Yup, on the HRED. I believe that fixed my malfunctions but I am not digging the brass to the face still.
    #RESIST

Here are the two ejectors, original Gen4 and the 9/2011 update. Mine does not have a part number on it.
    The word is that this part addresses the erratic ejection issue by catching more of the shell casing. Changes to the Gen4 frame introduced a small amount of flex that caused the original Gen4 ejector to sometimes miss the "sweet spot" on the shell casing as the action recoiled. Increasing the size of the ejector face should increase the likelihood of an effective strike on the shell case.
    Name:  Updated Glock Ejector Comparison.jpg
Views: 1557
Size:  31.2 KB

The new RSA was reinforced to address an issue found in a few Law Enforcement agency Gen4 pistols where the head of the recoil spring assembly broke due to a change in the manufacturing process. If you look closely, you'll see the only change is the beefed up head plug and a new capture ring that surrounds the end of the spring.
    Name:  Updated Recoil Spring Assemble RSA.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  39.3 KB

Gear Scout, what are we to suppose is the explanation for Gen 4 9mm's that run like Glocks of legend? It seems they have to overcome the wrong RSA (in original format as ours are), sketchy extractors and a radically suboptimal ejector apparently.

Can you hazard a guess?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

JHC- This is a guess, but I'd say all the Gen4 problems come down to flex in the Gen4 frame. When Glock changed the grip and trigger housing, it seems they may have misjudged the amount of material needed to maintain the dimensional stability of those parts under recoil.

But, what causes some Gen4s to run while others have ejection problems? [Total Conjecture Alert] Could be that some batches of the frame polymer are a hair stiffer or even softer. Earlier models may have looser tolerances because there isn't so much stuff jammed into the new grip on the Gen4. It might just be a simple case of tolerance stacking in the part dimensions as well as the polymer formula.

I am curious if there is a different reliability experience in right- vs. left-handed shooters. Since there is subtle difference in the way the frame flexes depending on which hand you're shooting from, there may be a correlation between problem pistols and shooter handedness.
    Last edited by GearScout; 09-27-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xcibes View Post
    If you look at the picture in the thread, the new ejector is marked 30274, the old one was marked 336. I do not know if there is another number for it. Is that the number you were looking for?
    Yes, thank you. Would be awesome to source it. Can't find one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by GearScout View Post
    JHC- This is a guess, but I'd say all the Gen4 problems come down to flex in the Gen4 frame. When Glock changed the grip and trigger housing, it seems they may have misjudged the amount of material needed to maintain the dimensional stability of those parts under recoil.

But, what causes some Gen4s to run while others have ejection problems? [Total Conjecture Alert] Could be that some batches of the frame polymer are a hair stiffer or even softer. Earlier models may have looser tolerances because there isn't so much stuff jammed into the new grip on the Gen4. It might just be a simple case of tolerance stacking in the part dimensions as well as the polymer formula.

I am curious if there is a different reliability experience in right- vs. left-handed shooters. Since there is subtle difference in the way the frame flexes depending on which hand you're shooting from, there may be a correlation between problem pistols and shooter handedness.
    Oy, that doesn't fill me with a particularly high degree of confidence. Couldn't we take your argument to its logical conclusion then and state that it's possible the design of the gen 4's is fundamentally flawed?

I'm not going to go so far as to argue that the Gen 4 issues are frame flex induced. I've seen lots of gen 4's (including my own) run like glockwork. I think this is a parts problem, with some recent QC fail and internal shufflings on Glock's part being the likely culprit.

I want to think it's QC on some part like the extractor, too.

But, I was recently watching some super slow-mo video of steel carbine barrels firing. I was struck by how much they jiggled and it made me wonder just how much the polymer parts on our pistols flex during operation.

I suppose it may not be the frame, but it could be the trigger housing housing that's flexing under torsional forces during recoil. This could move the ejector slightly off-axis for an instant and explain the seemingly random ejection pattern as the gun flexes a little differently depending on the recoil impulse from each cartridge's powder load and temperature of the gun.

Yeah, I know it's a bit out there. But I really like the sunsets on my private island.
    Last edited by GearScout; 09-28-2011 at 12:56 AM.

User Tag List