Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting article on FireClean weapons oil

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    If you come out to WAC for one of the USPSA matches, I'll get you some samples of Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil.
    Thanks a bunch, I would really appreciate that. I'll probably start with a Friday night match for my first match (I was told they were a bit more laid back?) after the Next Steps 2 course I am taking with OFFS on 9/26.

Maybe I could shoot you a PM later in Oct? Hopefully it will be cooler; I was out yesterday at WAC, and it was 86 at 1000AM, geez.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    So the author of this blog, does he have a solid rep on the gunternet?
    Depends on who you talk to.

In this case, though, I don't think he's faking it. It's possible, but he'd have to be pretty daft to try and fake spectroscopy results. I suppose it's possible that someone will come along and argue that some other form of spectroscopy should have been used or something, but we'll see.

Frankly it's not really that surprising to me. There are a whole bunch of useful lubricants that have an agricultural base of some sort and work very well for their intended purpose. Hell, the machinery of the industrial revolution ran on whale oil and it took quite some time to come up with man-made lubricants that met or exceeded the performance of whale oil.

I'd imagine that FC uses some sort of agricultural base with some additives mixed in and I'd wager that the additives are what the manufacturer will claim is the secret sauce. Likely without useful information of the concentration of those additives. I'm not qualified to interpret spectroscopy results but as a layman looking at the readouts it doesn't look to me like there's enough difference to really make the stuff behave any differently than whatever base they are using. Certain bases may be very good at certain tasks. People say that FC does a good job of pulling off carbon, for instance, which may be explainable by the chemical properties of the base that make it suck at other things you'd want a gun lube to do.

I'm sure at some point someone will come along and shoot the messenger, but I don't think he's fibbing on this one.

The whole magic gun lube thing has annoyed me for a long time. The sizzle to steak ratio is way the hell out of whack.

I've been using whatever I could get free for a number of years now. I broke down and purchased some Wilson Ultima Lube for my pet CQB because why not? But I'm at the point of buying a can of Lubriplate and a couple of syringes and calling it a day.

I've used a bunch of different lubes over the years (freebies usually come in small sizes) and I haven't really noticed much of a difference in how they perform...but I've never really used them with an eye to compare X vs. Y in terms of how they perform.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 09-12-2015 at 09:16 PM.
    3/15/2016

He is one of a handful of people in this industry who challenge popular opinion and don't simply regurgitate what others say.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I know him and have no reason to doubt his firearms testing stuff on the intertubes. I'd trust him over a bunch of bigger YouTube names with flashier chin spinach.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Like TC, I use whatever I can get for cheap. Free is even better.

At this point in time, I can get Mobil DTE Light or DTE 24 machine oil for free. So that's what I use where I need oil. For pistol slide rails I use grease. I'm still on a small can of Shooter's Choice gold grease that I bought close to 20 years ago.

I honestly cannot tell the difference between motor oil/CLP/sewing machine oil (yep, I've used plenty of 3-in-1)/lathe oil/what have you.......I'm not paying $10 or more for a few ounces of magic lube no matter who makes it or endorses it.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 09-12-2015 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    guymontag,

Have you tried Lucas Extreme Duty Grease?
    I have not, but it looks interesting! I may have bought that as opposed to the oil had it been out at the time... however looking at the price it appears I would be able to snag around two ounces of SG for every one ounce of Lucas grease. Do you have any experience with it though?
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Saw his WARNO on this a week or so ago, maybe less. Fairly interesting bit. I've been using FC for some time now. I have had really solid results. Used in OEF, which he does not recommend, and it performed far above average, with very, very little moon dust accumulation. I pay around $10 for the 2oz bottle, and I'm still on the initial two I opened up. One for civvie use, one for mil use. No joke. The mil bottle is on its last legs. Both were opened around 18 months ago. When FC says drops will work for a large area, they do mean drops. I will stick with it.
    You don't gotta love it. You just gotta do it.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I have to say that I do not understand the amount of passion people get tied up in regarding pistol lubricants. People get their whole frickin' ego invested in whatever $3.95 bottle of slippy stuff they bought at the gun store to dribble on their pistol barrel, and that just makes no sense to me. I can kinda understand the lengths people will go to defend their $500 handgun purchase, but the oil thing leaves me baffled.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I have to say that I do not understand the amount of passion people get tied up in regarding pistol lubricants. People get their whole frickin' ego invested in whatever $3.95 bottle of slippy stuff they bought at the gun store to dribble on their pistol barrel, and that just makes no sense to me. I can kinda understand the lengths people will go to defend their $500 handgun purchase, but the oil thing leaves me baffled.
    Yeah, the whole lube thing has me baffled. I think I use CLP and my guns still work.

JR1572

Quote Originally Posted by JR1572 View Post
    Yeah, the whole lube thing has me baffled. I think I use CLP and my guns still work.

JR1572
    Back in the day before magical shit popped up on the market I used CLP to "fix" untold numbers of M16s and machine guns that weren't working because "oil attracts dirt/creates carbon".
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List