Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting article on FireClean weapons oil

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I've heard some negative things about Militec 1 (though originally I had heard it in a positive light, from Larry Vickers, who gave out free samples at his class; a little ironic, I suppose). Here's what Chad Mercer's said before:

Here is a document from the GOA with some more information: https://books.google.com/books?id=sD...page&q&f=false
    Honestly I haven't used Militec 1 in almost a decade. When StraitR mentioned how FC forms a coating, Militec 1 was the first thing I thought of, because that is what it did. As a lube it was pretty horrible compared to the modern stuff, it migrated easily, and generally didn't last long on guns.

I am not surprised they lost their NSN, particularly if it was granted as a CLP, as there is no way that it meets the C of the CLP. And the other two are iffy.

Todd probably has more recently experience than I do, I remember him saying he used it in some of his torture test stuff. Not sure if he still does.
    "The rocket worked perfectly, except for landing on the wrong planet." - Wernher Von Braun

http://www.teampegleg.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Which is hilarious in itself, in light of the post immediately prior to that one. It's not like he said anywhere that the stuff didn't work, and yet everybody's in a big multicam tactical man purse swinging fight over it...
    Hell, multiple times in the past, well before the recent hubbub, he's said flat out that FireClean is effective, and still stands by that. Of course that won't stop certain organizations (or certain folk who like to refer to themselves in the third person by their initials) from yelling about libel and whatever else.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

The "passion"around gun lube is no harder to understand than any of the other nonsense surrounding the forearms industry, or anything else humans involve themselves in. It boils down to an emotional investment in one's choices and an inability to acknowledge one may have chosen in error, even when presented with new facts that may be counter to their original conclusions.

To that point, nobody that was already using/pimping fireclean will stop because of all of this, and nobody that wasn't already using it will start, so it's pretty much all flash and no bang.

I will say this about the company, they did their marketing right. They approached every gun celebrity they could think of and offered to send them an unlabeled bottle to "test". To give you an idea the depths to which this marketing went, they even contacted me and sent me some. I happened to be in a Kyle Lamb class that weekend so I discussed it with him, and sure enough they had sent him some too. I "texted" it by applying it to a gun, had nothing but problems, and was told I applied it wrong. My conclusion was that EWL was working great in the way that I was used to app,using it, so I'd stick, with what was working.

Fast forward, and you have all manner of gun celebrities limping the product. And, to my initial point, they aren't going to stop now unless it's proven that Fireclean rapes babies or is secretly made by Hilary Clinton.
    Last edited by rob_s; 09-16-2015 at 05:28 AM.

People wonder if I cannot find my lube of choice I use CLP. At least I know the advantages and disadvantages of that lube.

This is getting laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Fast forward, and you have all manner of gun celebrities limping the product.
    Sir, I will have you know that I am unrepentant product limper.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I've heard some negative things about Militec 1 (though originally I had heard it in a positive light, from Larry Vickers, who gave out free samples at his class; a little ironic, I suppose). Here's what Chad Mercer's said before:

Here is a document from the GOA with some more information: https://books.google.com/books?id=sD...page&q&f=false
    I don't think much of Militec.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    I was looking at Slip 2000 EWL 30, nearly $10 / oz.
    What's your source? Brownell's has it for about $4.50 per oz., not cheap, but not $10 per oz either. http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleanin...prod80644.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I don't think much of Militec.
    Srs Question:

Is there a Lubricant SME on p-f.com?

Could we not have a sticky on the Armorer forum with a short concise list of adequate lubricants (in a manner akin to Doc's ammo list) that the new user can reference?

It would seem to me that would be useful for those of us who don't have the depth and breadth of experience to choose for themselves. So, if this "gun lubricants identified as adequate" list were provided, a noobie could simply select from the list based on local availability, personal cost, etc. and then rock on, as they say.

Kind of like what Doc says on bullets: select a good defensive ammo, buy a lot of it, shoot it, philosophy.

?
    Last edited by RJ; 09-16-2015 at 08:06 AM.

SME? eh, dunno.

I trust anything Aray has to say on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I trust anything Aray has to say on the matter.
    Yup.
    #RESIST

User Tag List